Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: no good gas anymore??? ( 10% Corn )

Post Thanks / Like

Default no good gas anymore??? ( 10% Corn )

I was having my boat checked out yesterday at the dealer and in came someone with a boat that had blown an engine.. The mechanic told him that these days there is a 10% blend of ethonal (corn) in all gas.. Anyway, because of this the outboards are having to run a good additive in with the fuel each and every time they fill up. They told me also to run an additive because of the 10% corn deal, or I was sure to blow up sooner or later. JUst thought I'd mention this and let you talk to your mechanics about this situation. Maybe they are just trying to sell lots of additives!!!! Does anyone else have any knowledge on this subject???? I have an injected 150..

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

That's BS.
    Alcohol can not cause your motor to blow up.
    If anything, it'll help it run cleaner and eliminate any water problems.
    Just think of how many others. like me, have been running their
    motors for the last 20 yrs with no additives.
    JC

Post Thanks / Like

The high ethanol blends that some states have started mandating are not exactly healthy for an outboard. Most all manufacturers address this on their websites and operating manuals now.

10% shouldn't cause any problems (other than excessive water in the tank) but when you get into the 15% range (E85), you have a problem.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/service...qs/ethanol.php

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quackrstackr View Post
    The high ethanol blends that some states have started mandating are not exactly healthy for an outboard. Most all manufacturers address this on their websites and operating manuals now.

10% shouldn't cause any problems (other than excessive water in the tank) but when you get into the 15% range (E85), you have a problem.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/service...qs/ethanol.php
    You definitely don't want to use E85. That fuel is 85% alcohol and is only intended to be used in vehicles specifically designed to utilize it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I lost my train of thought there for a moment. E85 is about as rare as dinosaur bones in my area.

Anything over 10% ethanol is a no-go in an outboard. Missouri has dictated that all fuel except premium and fuel sold at marinas (I wonder why) must be a 10% blend. KY hasn't mandated anything but I sometimes wonder what I am getting in my tank when I fill up. Some weeks I seem to burn gas a lot faster than others, given the same amount of driving. Ethanol stinks for fuel mileage.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fairly certain that a 10% blend will burn well in any motor. The engine killer is water. And the ethanol attracts and accumulates it much better than straight gasoline does. Another kicker is that what is advertised as 10% blend can vary some either more or less. Additive IMO is cheap insurance on a costly repair and has the added benefit of helping to reduce carbon build up which is another motor eater. I use seafoam in every drop that goes through my motors.

Briggs and Straton has a little kit that will tell you on the spot how much ehtanol is in the gas. I've seen a post about it, but can't remember where it's sold. Seems like it costs about $10. There's also water seperating filters that can be installed on the O/B or for smaller O/B there's a funel with a filter you can use as you pump it sold at most auto parts stores. I really ought to get one of both of those.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like I remember reading that alcohol would deteriorate the neoprene gaskets in outboard motors.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Regular

For what it is worth, my son is a GM Master Tech. (That is a mechanic without the shade tree). lol He advised me to burn regular gasoline in all my small engines. If regular is not available, I would use additives. His primary concern is the rubber parts breaking down. Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Alcohol is exactly what you add to get rid of water.
    It causes the water to mix so you don't accumalate it.
    That's what the fuel de-icers are-alcohol.
    You'll never have a water problem with alcohol based fuels.
    Just the opposite.
    It's also the main ingredient in a lot of "fuel injector cleaners"
    JC

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast