Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Dock shooting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dock shooting

is there a particular time of year to shoot docks i think i will try that on my first crappie outing. How deep does the water have to be around the docks for this method to work effectivly?
    Last edited by lttran; 04-16-2008 at 11:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Springtime when the water hits 62 to 65 degrees. At least that is when i do the best at it. If the water is deep enough around the dock, post spawn works well too.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Ittran ...

Quote Originally Posted by lttran View Post
    is there a particular time of year to shoot docks i think i will try that on my first crappie outing.
    Most of my dock shooting experiences have been on Watts Bar (TN) and Weiss (AL) .... Spring & Fall ... mostly for Black Crappie. I was told by some people that live local, to these lakes, that even in Summer it can be productive ... midday, when the docks provide shaded/cooler water. Can't vouch for those times ... but, in Spring/Fall, docks do seem to be a holding spot for Black Crappie. If there's brush underneath the dock, and a reasonable water depth ... White Crappie can also be found there.
    Try it !! If you like casting, feeling/seeing the "thump" ... you'll probably enjoy "shooting". Vertical Casting can also be used, especially around the dock posts .. either as a follow-up method to shooting the dock, or as a primary method (when they're holding deep & around the posts).

... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Just about year round.... Size will vary with the time of year though.

TacoBender is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in Texas I've caught crappie on docks from Feb till Dec.
    TacoBender
    On The Spot Guide Service
    "Catchin Crappie Year Round"
    www.onthespotwithscott.com

Post Thanks / Like

They really like the old not so used docks Year around.

Post Thanks / Like

i tried the dock shooting today but i dont think it was the best day to try it. The water was really muddy but the docks arent that deep 2-4ft of water under them maybe. But i did manage to catch 2 keepers 1 of them was about 15 inches and it had to be atleast 2 lbs. maybe tomorrow will bring better luck to the docks since they predict lots of sunshine!!