Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What's A Staging Area?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's A Staging Area?

Staging area is a common term used by experts to describe a place used by crappie, especially during the pre-spawn and spawn. Let's take a look at the phases of the spawn and then define a staging area.

Water temperature is the key to crappie spawning. When water temperatures reach 45-50 degrees the crappie start moving. The first move is a feeding binge in shallower water.

Shallow water may mean 1O feet when crappie have been living at 20 feet. It can also mean 2 or 3 feet when shallow flats heat up and draw large numbers of shad. This shallow water movement isn't the spawn, it's simply a feeding spree.

As the water temperature continues to warm, fish migrate to spawning areas and male crappie start going to the bank. When the water reaches 58-60 degrees, fish lose their predictable patterns and start their spawning ritual as temperatures warm.

Now is the time to discuss 'staging'. That's when crappie hold in an area away from but nearby a spawning bank waiting for perfect conditions to lay eggs. By staging in water near shore, it's easy for a female to go to the bank and then return to the staging area. This keeps her in deeper, safer water. A female usually makes three or four trips to the bank to deposit eggs at different sites. This is one of nature's ways to insure a successful spawn.

The perfect spawning area is offshore from a gravel bank that's protected from the main lake. The perfect staging area is a small drop and/or cover slightly deeper and 10-25 yards from the spawning spot. It doesn't matter whether the spawning site is in 3 feet of water or 20 feet, staged crappie will usually be a few feet deeper and away from the site.

The spawn is in full swing until the fish finish spawning or conditions are so terrible the females lose or absorb their eggs. After the spawn, it's normal for both males and females to rest in the staging area before moving to deeper water.

Therefore, the staging area is a holding location near the spawning site. It's used before the spawn as a spot to wait until conditions are right for males to make nests and females to deposit eggs. During the spawn it's a retreat when bad weather or water conditions occur. After the spawn it's a resting area to recover.

Post Thanks / Like

That is some good info
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

interesting, thanks prowler

Post Thanks / Like

That's a very good description. Thank you for posting it. We've got a lot of new members recently that have said they're just learning the ropes, and posts like this should go a long way toward putting them on fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Prowler, thanks for the excellent explanation. This is the reason why someone like me who is new to crappie fishing loves this site. This really breaks it down for me

Post Thanks / Like

Great report. Thanks for posting. cw

Post Thanks / Like

Thats great info!!!!!!! But I always thought a staging area is the spot in the freezer where my wife lets me put fillets before I fry them??
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Good article Prowler! That's the kind of info we should all be searching for and posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    Thats great info!!!!!!! But I always thought a staging area is the spot in the freezer where my wife lets me put fillets before I fry them??
    Now that's funny!
    Last edited by DC Crappie Kid; 04-21-2008 at 04:40 PM.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."