Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: The Old Horse Out At The Farm

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Old Horse Out At The Farm

I was at the Farm today and was watching the old horse and decided to take a pic of him. Then the more I thought about it I had to write something too. Hope you all enjoy.

THE OLD HORSE OUT AT THE FARM

THERES AN OLD HORSE OUT AT THE FARM
    HES A BIG FELLA AND WILL DO YOU NO HARM
    HES WORKED FOR MANY YEARS BUT HAS BEEN RETIRED SINCE
    YOU CAN STILL SEE THAT OLD HORSE WALKING THE FENCE
    HES HALF BLIND AND A LITTLE SLOW GETTIN AROUND
    THE FARM IS HIS HOME, HIS STOMPIN GROUND
    HE WALKS THE FARM STILL KEEPIN THE CATTLE IN THEIR PLACE
    YOU CAN SEE THE SATISFACTION OF THE OLD WORKIN HORSE ON HIS FACE
    HE IS FED HIS HAY AND IS WELL TAKEN CARE OF
    FOR A MANY A YEAR HE HAS EARNED THAT KIND OF LOVE
    WATCHIN THAT OLD FELLA WALK THE PASTURE IS A GREAT SIGHT
    HE GOES WHERE HE PLEASES, WITH HIS AGE HE HAS EARNED THAT RIGHT
    YOU MAY FIND HIM IN THE MESQUITE AND ON HIS SIDE IS WHERE HE LAYS
    PROBABLY THINKING OF HIS CATTLE CUTTIN DAYS
    HES A GENTLE OLD BOY, WITH HIS HEART SO WARM
    FOR THAT’S THE OLD HORSE OUT AT THE FARM

BY GORDON B. MELTON
    Last edited by father of 4; 04-16-2008 at 01:22 PM.
    Soldiers and Firefighters. Some people were meant to call 911, Some were meant to BE 911

Post Thanks / Like

That was good, thanks
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Nice poem & picture. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Good, thanks for sharing.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone that knows tell me how to upload this picture to my computer. My wife wants to make a puzzle out of it. I got it to save as my back ground but i can't save it in my documents or desk top or any where else. It's such a neat picture and would make a diffucult puzzle to work. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Post Thanks / Like

gaspin right click on pic then select either MY PICTURES or MY DOCUMENTS then click save hope this works for you. It is the way I save pics. Good luck. cw

Post Thanks / Like

That was great man. Bet that critter just as home browsin mesquite beans as eatin sweet feed?? Had a young Qtr horse gelding I trail rode in AZ extensively. The dude was a mesquite junkie, dont try tie him it aint happenin when hes near a mesquite thicket.
    Used 3 pt hobbles and still got up in the morning and had to walk 1/2 mile at times to git him. His name was Ben. Bought him at the big annual auction in Roswell, NM. Friend & I noticed him in the barn before the sale. He had saddlemarks on him. "Been ridden" I said.
    Big ol belly like mine on him, "Been out to pasture" I said. Hooves trimmed, nice weight,
    glossy coat. "Been taken care of" I say. $400 later he was mine and since it was generally agreed upon that he had indeed been all those things....., Ben it was. Wild as a March hare. Found out from owner before sale that he was a ranch horse on his ranch and there was a big enuf cavvy of horses that rather than buck him out or work with him
    they would turn him out & git another horse. He was makin a statement to his hands. He was a fine lookin and well-bred horse and you know how it is with takin a little pride about what you are mounted on, the feeling just like driving a fine well tuned car. The owner had his boys there and when the horse came thru he talked him down. Auctioneer asked "Anyone know anything bout this horse?" Owner ups and sez "thats one bronc SOB
    and not fit for dog food or glue. He's healthy but You see all my hired hands here with me-not a one of em can stay on him long enuf to git him useable." 2 other dudes were bidding but backed out pretty quick, I got him. Admittedly a little rugged at first but I took him with to a ranch I did spring round-up on and just put him out in a pen. Rode the ranch remudas' horses and left him alone. At the end of round-up if you wanted to stay on an extra month to fix fence and haul salt you could. Well he was perfect to work on his hooves, and ponied fine. I shod him and put a pack saddle on him with about
    150 lbs of block salt in each pannier and the ranch covered about 100 sq miles with their BLM grazing permit. Ranch near Superior, AZ, nuthin but mountains. After about a 10 day stint of packin salt I threw a saddle on him and he never got any worse than 3rd degree crow-hoppin. He ended up being one of the best horses I have ever owned.
    Double-bred King horse, sorrel, 15.2 hands. Turned him into a heelin horse and he kept his mind in the box and left any hyper in the arena when we left and was a good all-around horse.
    Sorry FOF, dint mean to go on, that poem jiggled my memory about a few horses!
    THX!!!!
    Great poem, mind if I copy it?
    Last edited by horseshoer; 04-19-2008 at 04:24 PM.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

Horsesher im glad I could joggle your memory. Thanks for your story it was great
    Soldiers and Firefighters. Some people were meant to call 911, Some were meant to BE 911