Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 1/32 1/16 1/8 casting and tightlining??

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1/32 1/16 1/8 casting and tightlining??

I've been using 6lb test and casting a 1/8 oz curly tail.. Up here in North Ga.deep lakes you have to get down sometimes 20 ft, which make it almost impossible to use anything lighter ( or is it??) Maybe 4lb test would make quite a difference. I was wondering whether or not the different size lead heads can mean catching fish or not.* I realize that the lighter* head you use the slower it will desend and the longer the fish has to look at it. Especially tightlining as I am doing. if it is not windy at all I can get away using a 1/16 pretty easy. JUst how much difference can weight be???And line size..
    Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

It can make the difference between catching fish and not catching fish.
    Many a times I would fish one of my spots without getting a bite,
    and switch to a smaller jig and line and I would start catching fish.
    I use 1/16 oz with 6 lb mostly, but when it's tough, I switch to
    1/32 oz on 4lb. it's my secret weapon.
    It is hard to go deep with it though.
    Recently I've tried adding a small split shot sinker upline a little ways.
    Seems like it works, sometimes.
    Trick is, always trying different ways until you find one that works.
    And it's always changeing (LOL) but that's fishing!
    JC

Post Thanks / Like

I generally work two rods - one just tight line hanging over the side and one casting.

For casting, I've got a 5' Quantum UL spinning combo spooled with 4# and don't go smaller than 1/16 oz for the jig head, generally use 1/8 oz, otherwise I get no distance on my casts.

For my tightline I've got a 9' Shakespeare Sigma noodle rod with an old (was grandpa's) Zebco 33 trigger spin spooled with 4#. For tightline jigs, I usually go with a 1/32 oz internal tube head. When it's windy, I'll up the weight to a 1/16 oz either internal or round head.

This combination works well for me. Once I find where the fish are and figure out what color they want on any given day, I end up pretty much reeling in fish one after another with both rods. Keeps me pretty busy.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Crawdad ...

Quote Originally Posted by crawdad orange View Post
    I've been using 6lb test and casting a 1/8 oz curly tail.. Up here in North Ga.deep lakes you have to get down sometimes 20 ft, which make it almost impossible to use anything lighter ( or is it??) Maybe 4lb test would make quite a difference. I was wondering whether or not the different size lead heads can mean catching fish or not.* I realize that the lighter* head you use the slower it will desend and the longer the fish has to look at it. Especially tightlining as I am doing. if it is not windy at all I can get away using a 1/16 pretty easy. JUst how much difference can weight be???And line size..
    Thanks!!
    I generally use 4lb test, unless I'm using braid (then it's 10lb test/2lb diameter) :D And most of the time I'm using 1/16oz jigheads. 20ft is about the max depth I'll put a jig down to ... and I have used 1/32oz jigheads at that depth. It just takes a little longer for them to get to the depth, but sometimes the size of the jig IS that important.
    Most of my production (catching) comes from three presentations : casting & swimming a jig -- shooting docks -- Vertical Casting. On the rare occasion, and specific lakes, I will troll ... but, only if I have to :p

Just in case you're wondering ... what's that crazy old man talking about, when he says "Vertical Casting" :D ... here's the scoop :
    http://crappie.com/index.php?option=...id=18&Itemid=2

... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen that term used but wasn't exactly sure what it meant,thanks Pappy.

Post Thanks / Like

vertical casting is my favorite way of fishing, didn`t know that was what it was called but that`s the way i fish probably 80 per cent of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pappy!! I copied the page on Vertical casting so I can read it over a few times. I have to read anything these days 3or4 times for it to sink into this skull of mine.. Again , I sure appreciate Ya!!!

Post Thanks / Like

What I call tightlining is when you cast your jig toward the bank or submerged timber and stair step it back to the boat. Of course when you cast to a dead fall timber that goes out and down the hill into the lake you cast towards the deep section of it and tightline it till you think you are about to get into the branches and then pump it up alittle and tight line further back to you. Sometimes your jig will rest on a branch momentarily and if you dont get hung up you pump it and tightline somemore..clear as mud...Huh??