View Full Version : rod ?

foul hook
04-15-2008, 06:46 PM
What is mid flex and tip flex. Is one easier to cast than the other?

04-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Mid flex might be viewed as full flex. The whole rod flexes. Tip flex means the tip of the rod flexes. It depends on what you would be comfortable casting which one to choose. Some full flexes might cast like a wet noodle and that would be bad but I have a fiberglass full flex that is not like that at all. Very smooth slow cast that I like. The tip flex may cast somewhat faster than a full flex as only the tip flexes and to me a tip flex is not as smooth casting either. But some folks like tip flex because they may be a little faster casting. That is what both types of flex mean to me anyway.

Flyrod Man
04-16-2008, 07:07 PM
As a rule the less flex, the faster the rod. All my rods are tip, fast action but are recommended for advance casters. Mid flex, or a softer rod is slower, and easier for a beginner to cast. It is more difficult to cast when windy into the wind. Turn around and use the wind to your advantage but make sure it doesn't "dampen" the back cast and hook you.

foul hook
04-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks , thats what i was looking for. I spent couple hours in a shop today, looking and trying to get a better handle on it. I am an old bass fisherman, and understand fast tip. We have a small farm pond about 40 acres, had a chance just b4 dark to check it out. Caught the heaviest 12in fish i have ever seen. He had to weigh 6lbs or better, or he thought he did. Thats my personal best on a fly rod. It was a hoot in the hydrilla with 3wt. Got to improve my casting skills!!!!!