Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie in ponds

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie in ponds

How big does a pond usually have to be to be able to support crappie? My parents have a pond about 4.5 acres and 17 ft deep channel that runs down the middle of it. It's been stocked with bass and channel catfish for about 5 years now and they are doing great. Just wondering if "Croppy" would do good in that environment.

Post Thanks / Like

Just make sure that you put BLACK CRAPPIE in it, not White. If you stick some White Crappie in a pond like that you will have stunted fish.

TeamAdcraft is offline Trophy King II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishinBetterThanWorkin View Post
    How big does a pond usually have to be to be able to support crappie? My parents have a pond about 4.5 acres and 17 ft deep channel that runs down the middle of it. It's been stocked with bass and channel catfish for about 5 years now and they are doing great. Just wondering if "Croppy" would do good in that environment.
    Perfect. make sure you have a nice Bluegill population for the Bass and Crappie. But we fish ponds that are 12 ft deep all year. even ice fish!

So enjoy! Set Crappie condos up and have at it! My avatar shows a 17" I caught in a farm pont that was 15 ft in teh deepest part. so they are there!
    2X In-Fisherman Magazine Regional Crappie Anglers of the Year
    Official Provider of the Crappie.com State Decals

GO RAZORBACKS!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would say yes.My family has a pond about 2acres big that has bass and crappie in it and they do quite well.I have cuaght some good ones outta there.But make sure if ya put them in there you A: keep them thinned out once they establish cuase they will take over quick if not kept in check. B: if the other fish are not well established with different year groups of sizes the crappie will thin them out pretty quick.
    We also stocked gills in the pond so the bass and crappie would feed on them.But agian you have to keep them thinned down also.But makes for a great all around pond for all age groups to enjoy.
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

Post Thanks / Like

Would there be a good time to stock those in a pond??? I would assume this would be the right time of year to do that.

Post Thanks / Like

I have thrown cappie in that i bring home from fishing at all times of the year.Thats how they got in there.I just put some in there when i get home to late and don't want to clean them .And they took off and have spawned and are doing well:D
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishinBetterThanWorkin View Post
    Would there be a good time to stock those in a pond??? I would assume this would be the right time of year to do that.
    cool weather is the best time to stock your pond, I put three walley in my pond for crappie control, I have Black white and black nose crappie and catch from 4in. to 16in I did what Hogster did when I would catch those little black crappie in the spring I figure they were male so in the pond and the big white I cleaned and ate, yummmm. I also bought pearch,bluegill,shell cracker, bass and cat fish, the darn cat fish have just abouth taken over,,, gonna net them later this mounth or next. good luck