Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll....Minnows VS. Jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Poll....Minnows VS. Jigs.

I am a die-hard jig fisherman but thinking about trying some minnows, fished side by side with a buddy today and he put a whoopin' on me with his minnows, i tried at least a dozen different jig colors, i caught 3 and he caught 9-10. How do you guys hook your minnows for best swimming results, Through the lips or just under dorsal fin or where?? Thanks for any replies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lum
    I am a die-hard jig fisherman but thinking about trying some minnows, fished side by side with a buddy today and he put a whoopin' on me with his minnows, i tried at least a dozen different jig colors, i caught 3 and he caught 9-10. How do you guys hook your minnows for best swimming results, Through the lips or just under dorsal fin or where?? Thanks for any replies.
    Me too, Lum...I've always fished jigs only, but like you, a buddy made me look like a novice (not too hard to do) using his Rosy Red minnows. I mean I didn't even get a bump! So now I take both jigs and minnows, and give 'em what they want.

I hook 'em thru the lips if I'm using a jig head, and just under the dorsal fin with a plain hook.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to hook them thru the lips from the bottom up when trolling. When sitting still thru the tail or under the dorsel so they can swim around.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I hook them thru the lips or eyes when I'm trolling or casting and retrieving.

Under a bobber I'll hook behind the dorsal and bring the hook up so that the tip comes out in front of the dorsal. Careful not to hook them thru the back bone.
    "You should have been here yesterday!"

Post Thanks / Like

I generally carry a few minnows every trip. I keep them at home and always have some. I keep them in a 10 gallon bucket out fitted with an ac operated aerator and aquarium filter. I always hook mine through the lower lip and out the nostril. Under a bobber some folks hook them through the back. I do not.
    I have seen days when they hit a jig better and days they hit a minnow better. Some days a jig tipped with a minnow. Boy I wish crappie would talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up minnows minnow sminnows

I've fished with minnows all my life, But when i run out of minnows which is very rare I jig, I have went as far as going into the live well and squeezing the crappie to make them regurgitate the minnows. You probably think I'm lying, but it's the truth.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot
    I hook them thru the lips or eyes when I'm trolling or casting and retrieving.

Under a bobber I'll hook behind the dorsal and bring the hook up so that the tip comes out in front of the dorsal. Careful not to hook them thru the back bone.
    Thats a new one on me, I'll have to try it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lum,

I love catching fish on a jig, whether casting, or my favorite vertical jigging. But when I go fishing, I going fishing. LOL I always take both. If they hit the jig, I save the Rosies for the next time out.
    Hold My beer and watch this sheeet!!!

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Minner Skinners

Like Hoot said, thru the eyes. They don't need to see where they're going anyway.

I won't give up, I won't give in . I fish jigs 100%
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lum
    Jigs and nibble.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast