Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Making Jigs Weedless

Post Thanks / Like

Default Making Jigs Weedless

Does any one make jigs weedless? I tried for first time tonight. I always bought weedless jig heads. I like using Roadrunners in the spring but fishing brush can be costly using them.

I read something this winter about using craft wire to make jigs weedless. I bought 22 ga green craft wire but wished now I had gotten the 26 ga green wire. Wrapped it around the hook then to the jig eye and around the jig eye twice then to hook end and cut the wire just past the hook tip.

Does anyone do this different?
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Cool idea. I always just bought weedless jig heads, too, either with monofilament fibers or 1-2 wire strands. It's a good idea to just get some craft wire and make them yourself. Thanks for including the suggestions for what gauge wire to get.

I just bought a Stan Sloan jig at Bass Pro the other day because I noticed that it uses two wires that do not run directly to the hook point, but rather splay out at a few degrees from the hook point on either side. I thought this design looked a little more weedless because it would deflect a potential snag away from the hook point sooner, or allow the wire to flex a little and still be effective as a weed guard. I think it would be pretty easy to make this modification, but not sure what the net effect would be.

Does anyone have any data on the catch rates comparing 1) unguarded hooks, 2) fiber weed guards, and 3) Texas-rigged style (where the hook tip is hidden inside the plastic body)? Does weedless rigging effect bite and catch rates?

Post Thanks / Like

When making jigs by hand, you can make them weedless using 1-2 pieces of heavy fishing line over the hook point. But if you're talking about turning pre-made jigs into weedless jigs, I don't have a clue. If you want me to explain tying a weedless jig, shoot me a PM.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

One way to make them weedless, and often overlooked, when useing
    small grubs like 1.5", is to hook the grub through the head and slide
    it forward so you can stab the body with the hook.
    Kinda like a worm for bass fishing.
    It keeps it weedless for sure, although the grubs don't last as long
    and need to be replaced more often, but it does work.
    JC

Post Thanks / Like

Just take a heavy bell sinker about 2 oz. and put a paper clip or wire on it. When you feel yourself hang up, tighten the line a little (not too tight) and clip the sinker on your line. Slide the sinker right down the line into the water. This will knock the jig and free it most of the time. I have about 75% success rate with this. And it saves a few bucks here and there.
    Caught so many fish today my thumb is sore from clicking the counter.

Post Thanks / Like

I've thought about using heavy mono when I tie my own to make them weedless, but haven't tried it so far. I don't usually lose them and if I do I tie my own so I don't loose anything but a little bit of time and some material.

Post Thanks / Like

Use the ties from a loaf of bread. Pull the paper off and use the wire. It works perfectly.

Post Thanks / Like

Great Idea Dadakota. I've Been Wondering Where To Get Wure Fine Enough. DCKID, SHOOT ME A PM EXPLAINING HOW YOU DO YOUR WEEDLESS
    Tim
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

I usually fish kalin or triple ripples 85% of the time and have been expermenting with rigging them like you would a plastic worm for bass,been looking for a shank hook jig head like say a small true turn worm hook but with lead on it. HMMMMMMMMMM anybody got any ideas on this?
    Last edited by Outlaw1&2; 04-16-2008 at 10:34 AM.