Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: parrotheadcrb

Post Thanks / Like

Default parrotheadcrb

Would you please post picture of your strike indicator setup and info about fishing this system. Anyone else that uses this system please chime in.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re

I dont have any pictures of the set up but I can make some this evening and I will post them tonigh. I use the football style strike indicators. Usually fish 6 to 8 feet deep. The fish usually hit that jig system a lot like a crappie will on the fall and redear will sometimes just make the strike twitch a little bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiecrazy View Post
    Anyone else that uses this system please chime in.
    I've never really found an indicator I liked. Consequently, I don't use this method. But I found a couple of good threads from people who do. I must admit, I like the idea of using the little Thill float.

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=473731

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=471055

Post Thanks / Like

Try this. I use it on occasion. I typically don't use a strike indicator but I do use it once in a while when I think conditions might favor it. Link below.

Vertically Oriented Strike Indicator (VOSI)
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't use a strike indicator, how do you detect strikes? I have been flyfishing for a while now and I have seen guys do it( nymphing) But I can't figure it out.
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    If you don't use a strike indicator, how do you detect strikes? I have been flyfishing for a while now and I have seen guys do it( nymphing) But I can't figure it out.
    For gills, I use a slow, hand twist retrieve. They will nail it just like a crappie does with a jig. There's no mistaking the bite!

For trout, all the best nymphers I know use a strike indicator. There are some, though, that refuse to use them. I'm really not sure how they detect strikes. Joe Humpheys, one of the true old masters, is a great nympher, but he does not use a strike indicator. He tends to watch for movement in the line itself. A lot of the European fly guys do this also.

Post Thanks / Like

Miller,

Of course I can't speak for other folks, but I watch the leader and the line as well as feel the bite through the line. Taps and tugs count as bites also, not just line pulls. Be prepared to wrist set the hook. It doesn't take much to set the hook. No good old bass boy hauling back rod bending hook set. If the fish doesn't get hooked, continue to strip line and manipulate the fly as usual until the next bite. I only need to recast when most all of the line has been stripped in. However, I fish topwater different and depends on the type of surface fly. After casting, I let a popper (slider, pusher, foam bug, or other) set for a while with maybe one or two "pops", then I recast again. Dry flies and other such flies I generally let sit on the water with little or no manipulation riding the drift until I recast.

Ditto to Kevin. Slow creeping retrieve with pauses or slow strips with pauses.
    Last edited by dixieangler; 04-14-2008 at 08:49 PM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dixieangler View Post
    Try this. I use it on occasion. I typically don't use a strike indicator but I do use it once in a while when I think conditions might favor it. Link below.

Vertically Oriented Strike Indicator (VOSI)
    I agee. The VOSI works really great. Dixie mailed me a couple and I've tried them out and really like them.
    Steve
    Southern Drawl Kayak Fishing
    Native Watercraft-endorsed guide
    gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dixieangler View Post
    Miller,

Of course I can't speak for other folks, but I watch the leader and the line as well as feel the bite through the line. Taps and tugs count as bites also, not just line pulls. Be prepared to wrist set the hook. It doesn't take much to set the hook. No good old bass boy hauling back rod bending hook set. If the fish doesn't get hooked, continue to strip line and manipulate the fly as usual until the next bite. I only need to recast when most all of the line has been stripped in. However, I fish topwater different and depends on the type of surface fly. After casting, I let a popper (slider, pusher, foam bug, or other) set for a while with maybe one or two "pops", then I recast again. Dry flies and other such flies I generally let sit on the water with little or no manipulation riding the drift until I recast.

Ditto to Kevin. Slow creeping retrieve with pauses or slow strips with pauses.
    Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    For gills, I use a slow, hand twist retrieve. They will nail it just like a crappie does with a jig. There's no mistaking the bite!

For trout, all the best nymphers I know use a strike indicator. There are some, though, that refuse to use them. I'm really not sure how they detect strikes. Joe Humpheys, one of the true old masters, is a great nympher, but he does not use a strike indicator. He tends to watch for movement in the line itself. A lot of the European fly guys do this also.
    Thanks for the info, I was beginning to wonder if it was just a crapshoot
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

The ideal time for me to use a strike indicator is when the fish are suspending rather than being near or at the surface or rather than being deep. Suspending means the fish are hanging at a middle depth in the water column. That is what I meant by when conditions favor a strike indicator or float.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"