Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing for panfish.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly Fishing for panfish.

Alot of people ask what they should buy. Money wise I would not spend under 200 dollars for a rod. Reels 100. But, you may get a deal on a good rod & reel, new or used, on ebay for less for a starter. Rod IM6 graphite, put the money in the rod so u learn to cast properly. Weight, all around good choice, 5 wgt - 8.5 ft. Spool your reel with line one wgt heavier than rod with WFF line for easier casting. Tippet 3lb. I won't go into the number & types of rods and reels I have but they run from 4 wgt too 10 & 11 wgt spey rods. I enjoy for panfish a 4 wgt 7 ft rod w/3lb tippet. On this rod recently fishing crappie in ARK. I took a 5+lb LM/Bass, as long as "she" stayed out of the brush, I was safe with a lite rod - take your time and let the rod do the work. I only fly fish, trout, panfish N/Pike, Salmon, Steelhead etc. & saltwater whatever is around. Yes fly fishing can be expensive but like anything else if you are serious about it you'll enjoy yourself more with good equip't.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 7 fly rods and reels and have less than $300 in all of them. It's just like anything else "personal preference". Yes, it would be nice if we all could afford to buy the very best but some cannot. I agree with watching ebay and getting deals. If you are just starting and don't have a lot of money you can score big on ebay. My suggestion is find a rig you can afford, begin practicing your cast, and when you can buy something better. But, by all means give flyfishing a try. I am 53 and didn't start flyfishing until last August. Now I'm "hooked". It's the most peaceful and relaxing way to fish I have ever found. If I can ever help anyone (with my limited experience) PM me and I'll do what I can or get in touch with someone who can.
    Jerry Hamon
    Van Alstyne, Texas
    http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/texascrappiefisherman/MSKFCPRES_zps568e5f40.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Learn to cast

My first rod and reel came together in a package for around thirty dollars. Shakespeare I believe. And the reel was a Medalist. And it included a few flies, a leader,line, backing, and a video. And I caught hundreds of fish on that outfit before I realized my gear sucked. Then I talked my Mom into buying me new stuff. Whether you spend thirty dollars to get into the game, or sixty five dollars just on fly line, LEARN HOW TO CAST! That can make the difference.
    "Mister, I love the way you wear that hat."
    "You don't know nothin'."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re

Cabela's has some decent sales on rods and reels right now. I just bought a 3 weight for a Colorado fishing trip for like $135. I like the rod and I have some very expensive equipment I purchased before marriage but didnt have a small 3 weight for the smaller Colorado streams.

www.cabelas.com

Post Thanks / Like

This is my favorite place to buy flyfishing stuff:

http://stores.ebay.com/Gremlin-Fishing

His prices are great, he ships quick, and quite a variety of stuff to choose from. :D
    Jerry Hamon
    Van Alstyne, Texas
    http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/texascrappiefisherman/MSKFCPRES_zps568e5f40.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re:

Texascrappie have you ever used or casted one of his emerald matrix rods? I almost purchased one but I am kinda skeptical about rods like that without casting them of having any knowledge at all about them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best bass on fly

Rods are such a personal preference. If you're catching fish and having fun, you're doing OK. I use TFOs and like them just fine!
    Steve
    Southern Drawl Kayak Fishing
    Native Watercraft-endorsed guide
    gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blue Gill

Quote Originally Posted by Flyrod Man View Post
    Alot of people ask what they should buy. Money wise I would not spend under 200 dollars for a rod. Reels 100. But, you may get a deal on a good rod & reel, new or used, on ebay for less for a starter. Rod IM6 graphite, put the money in the rod so u learn to cast properly. Weight, all around good choice, 5 wgt - 8.5 ft. Spool your reel with line one wgt heavier than rod with WFF line for easier casting. Tippet 3lb. I won't go into the number & types of rods and reels I have but they run from 4 wgt too 10 & 11 wgt spey rods. I enjoy for panfish a 4 wgt 7 ft rod w/3lb tippet. On this rod recently fishing crappie in ARK. I took a 5+lb LM/Bass, as long as "she" stayed out of the brush, I was safe with a lite rod - take your time and let the rod do the work. I only fly fish, trout, panfish N/Pike, Salmon, Steelhead etc. & saltwater whatever is around. Yes fly fishing can be expensive but like anything else if you are serious about it you'll enjoy yourself more with good equip't.
    A simple fly pattern I use is a spider patern in black, orange or white in size 14 or 12. Body is rubber and a hackle behind head represents the legs. It floats high on the water. Presentation twitch on top water. You'll have a blast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parrotheadcrb View Post
    Texascrappie have you ever used or casted one of his emerald matrix rods? I almost purchased one but I am kinda skeptical about rods like that without casting them of having any knowledge at all about them.
    Nope, most shops let you "cast b4 you buy".
    Jerry Hamon
    Van Alstyne, Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texascrappiefisherman View Post
    This is my favorite place to buy flyfishing stuff:

http://stores.ebay.com/Gremlin-Fishing

His prices are great, he ships quick, and quite a variety of stuff to choose from. :D
    yes some great deals there,i use the feather-lite eagle series,in 61/2' and seven foot. i load them with 9 and 10 wt dt f fly line. the heaver weight line works well on these cheep rods and loads the rods up well. i get great line speed and they roll cast very well. because i fish a lot of timber i roll cast most of the time and the short rods work well in the trees.
    i do have a couple of rods i paid in excess of 70 bucks for but i am real careful with those and would never fish them in the timber like i do the eagle claw rods,also i find the little eagle claw rods are tuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast