Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Table Rock help

TomS Guest

Default Table Rock help

I was wondering if anyone had tips for fishing Table Rock. I fish Pomme de Terre nearly all the time but I live in Billings which is only 45 minutes from Cape Fair. A buddy and I fished the James River/Flat Creek arm today and only caught 7 keepers. We probably caught 30-40 fish that were 9" to 9 3/4" (next year should be good!). The two slabs of the day were both males on minnows. 1 lb 1 oz and 1 lb even. The jig bite was slow (for me anyway). They were both 12 to 15 deep just off the river channel. The little ones were all over the place. I can't believe how clear the water was in the river with the rain earlier in the week. That lake clears 10 times faster than Pomme or Loz. See ya out there.
    TomS

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

TOMS, It looks like they are catching a few at Tablerock. I went to Truman Friday and only caught 1 keeper and 4 bass. I think when they start to spawn at Tablerock, the James would be a good place to fish. I go to Truman a lot. Do you know if the police dept is having their tourney at Pomm this year. I heard about it, but have never fished it. I like the small tourneys, not the big ones. I just love to fish. I live in Ozark.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomS
    I was wondering if anyone had tips for fishing Table Rock. I fish Pomme de Terre nearly all the time but I live in Billings which is only 45 minutes from Cape Fair. A buddy and I fished the James River/Flat Creek arm today and only caught 7 keepers. We probably caught 30-40 fish that were 9" to 9 3/4" (next year should be good!). The two slabs of the day were both males on minnows. 1 lb 1 oz and 1 lb even. The jig bite was slow (for me anyway). They were both 12 to 15 deep just off the river channel. The little ones were all over the place. I can't believe how clear the water was in the river with the rain earlier in the week. That lake clears 10 times faster than Pomme or Loz. See ya out there.
    TomS
    I was fishing Baxter Area on Saturday Afternoon and caught fish from 3ft to 11ft on Gravel/Sand Points. Black and Chartruese was the jig color 1/16th oz. Didn't catch any on the 12ft. jig pole with minnow and Chartruese Maribou Jig Combo. Water in Baxter had about 5ft. visibility. Our area on Aunt's creek is still clear to about 9ft. I've heard of a number of limits being taken in the cape fair area. Road Runners are working well run at 3 to 8 ft over brush piles.

The way the eggs are looking, the spawn should be complete in a week or so.

Water temp. 62.0 - 65.0 in the bays . 61 on the main lake.
    Standing in the Gap

TomS Guest

I fished Cape Fair and Flat Creek on Monday and probably caught 60 crappie but only 8 keepers. I did best on orange grubs with chartruese tails or green grubs. It seemd like anything matching the green in the water color was best. The minnow bite was slow but thats how I caught the biggest fish. I don't know if it was just luck or chance but whenever I put one of those crappie nibbles (no I don't work for Berkley) on my hook the bite seemed to pick up. But they were mostly little ones. I can't figure out if the bigger females are holding in deeper water or what.

Post Thanks / Like

You're the second person that has mentioned the Orange / Chartruese combination. I'll have to pick some up at BPS and try it out. I had an individual tell me he limited out by point 9 with the Orange / Chartruese Combination. I have the latest issue of In Fisherman and it recommends oranges and greens on clear water lakes. I've found that Chartruese is pretty much a universal color. Talking to some of the pro's that fish the CrappieUSA Tournament. A lot of them use three color jigs to try to pinpoint what works best when pre-fishing. This made sense to me. All I have are two color jigs in my tackle box.

If you caught a lot of under sized fish, this is good for the future.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Papermouth
    Talking to some of the pro's that fish the CrappieUSA Tournament. A lot of them use three color jigs to try to pinpoint what works best when pre-fishing. This made sense to me. All I have are two color jigs in my tackle box.
    Get your self some painted jigheads or paint your own. Then you will have your tri-colored jigs. I like the bright orange colored heads in muddy/stained water.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

This is a good idea. I haven't painted jigs since the 80's. I make my own jigs. It's takes long enough to make them. Painting them wouldn't add that much time. I will need to get more 35mm containers to store the different colors in to keep them separated. I can see it now, I'll run out of a hot head color when I need it most.

Thanx TAE.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Glad I help ya out. The 35mm containers do work good for storing paint in, its good when you can find the clear ones. I usually spend one night a week paint jig heads, I might go a little over board on them. But what I do it put a primer coat, then 2 coats of paint and then a coat of clear. I will try to do a group of 25 jigs at a time at each step. These are weedless, so I dont lose to many so I dont mind spending that much time on them. Plus it nice to get away for a couple of hours.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Tried out the Orange and Chartruese Minnow Squirts last night and they worked great. I caught three off the Dock. The big one is 14". Looks like they've dropped their eggs in our area. I haven't had a distended Female for a couple days now.

Had to hold the jig still to get a hit. No strikes while the jig was moving.
    Standing in the Gap