Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fly Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Fly Rods

Question for deathb4disco. Several days back you mentioned a rod that you had looked at at BP. Can you tell me what that was? Thinking about an 8wt.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Horse Trading

I have an 8 wt that I will trade you... I would use the 6wt for these smaller hybrids at my home lake.. you need an 8wt for those lanier stripers
    Last edited by JusFshn; 04-13-2008 at 03:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by foul hook View Post
    Question for deathb4disco. Several days back you mentioned a rod that you had looked at at BP. Can you tell me what that was? Thinking about an 8wt.
    I can't find that post, but I wonder if I mentioned the new Sage bass rod. I WAS drooling over them recently at BP. Sage came out with two bass rods this year, a largemouth rod and a smallmouth rod. Both are 7'11" (so they'll be legal for bass tourneys.) I didn't get to cast either one, but they felt great (very light and well-balanced.) They go for about $300.

Or are you thinking about another Helios? I cast the 9wt Helios at the Atlanta Fly Fishing show. I loved it, but they're not cheap! :D

You might also consider Temple Forks (TFO.) I have two Professional models that go for $150. They also have one cheaper model and several more expensive models. Their most expensive rod is under $300, though. Steve Gibson is a TFO rep. I'm sure he could give you some more info on their rods.

First of all, just decide how much you want to spend. There are lots of good rods out there for almost any budget.

Post Thanks / Like

BPS has some nice rods in their fly shop but all the ones I saw were pretty steep. I was looking for a bin on the discounted rods I keep hearing about but didn't find any such. There is a tackle/fly shop in Lake Alfred, FL that has a lot of nice old brand name fiberglass rods at fairly cheap prices, mostly 8wt.s. I have enough fly rods. Any more and they would just sit and not get used. I have five right now but only regularly use three of them. I don't own an 8wt. anymore though.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

I have the TLS power matrix by ORVIS. I am goint to put it to the test this week. I am cocked and locked! Hoping that I can find a spare arbor ( spool) for my ORVIS PRESENTATION EXR111. Just caint have one.

Post Thanks / Like

dixieangler- Bp in macon has a closeout section in the back of mthere warehouse. Those rods are marked down considerably. I am sure the bp in orlando has the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    I can't find that post, but I wonder if I mentioned the new Sage bass rod. I WAS drooling over them recently at BP. Sage came out with two bass rods this year, a largemouth rod and a smallmouth rod. Both are 7'11" (so they'll be legal for bass tourneys.) I didn't get to cast either one, but they felt great (very light and well-balanced.) They go for about $300.

Or are you thinking about another Helios? I cast the 9wt Helios at the Atlanta Fly Fishing show. I loved it, but they're not cheap! :D

You might also consider Temple Forks (TFO.) I have two Professional models that go for $150. They also have one cheaper model and several more expensive models. Their most expensive rod is under $300, though. Steve Gibson is a TFO rep. I'm sure he could give you some more info on their rods.

First of all, just decide how much you want to spend. There are lots of good rods out there for almost any budget.
    That new largemouth is the cats meow...
    Jerry Hamon
    Van Alstyne, Texas
    http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/texascrappiefisherman/MSKFCPRES_zps568e5f40.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

foul hook,

I was speaking of the BPS in Orlando that I go to every once in a great while. I looked all over the fly shop and outside the shop. Didn't know they had a warehouse in the back. Never have seen one there.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dixieangler View Post
    foul hook,

I was speaking of the BPS in Orlando that I go to every once in a great while. I looked all over the fly shop and outside the shop. Didn't know they had a warehouse in the back. Never have seen one there.

Our flyshop at BPS Garland, TX didn't have it until a couple of weeks ago. A guy on a local forum works there and he pushed them to order it. You may have to persuade someone there to get one in stock. It is sweet. I'm looking forward to seeing the smallmouth, too.
    Jerry Hamon
    Van Alstyne, Texas
    http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/texascrappiefisherman/MSKFCPRES_zps568e5f40.jpg