Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: knots

Post Thanks / Like

Question knots

What is the proper knot to use to tie the line to the backing??????

Post Thanks / Like

i use 2 different ones. i tie an overhand not in each end then tie the 2 end in an overhand not and pull the 2 knots together till they quit sliding. also i think its called a surgeons not. take both end together just like they were 1 line and make a double overhand not and pull it tight. both work for me.

Post Thanks / Like

There are several that work. The nail knot and the Albright knot are two very common ones. Either one should be fine for most freshwater fish. A lot of saltwater guys swear by the loop-to-loop method.

Post Thanks / Like

Good evening deathb4disco. I understand the nail knot . After talking to Henry Cowan, I have a new RIO DC200gr 24ft sink tip. My current line is put together without a knot. It is so neet that I was reluctant to cut it off. Wiss that I could duplicate it. I dont have a problem with the nail. Dont know the Albright. I was wondering what took you so long to reply. You must be retired!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by foul hook View Post
    Good evening deathb4disco. I understand the nail knot . After talking to Henry Cowan, I have a new RIO DC200gr 24ft sink tip. My current line is put together without a knot. It is so neet that I was reluctant to cut it off. Wiss that I could duplicate it. I dont have a problem with the nail. Dont know the Albright. I was wondering what took you so long to reply. You must be retired!
    I'm tired but not REtired. :D That phone call to Henry sounds like an expensive one! :D RIO makes great lines. I have two right now.

I think I only have one outfit that I spooled myself, and I used a nail knot. Either Bass Pro or the Fish Hawk spooled my other ones. Here's some more detail about the Albright:

http://www.flymartonline.com/article213.html

Here's another useful knot site:

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

I've recommended this DVD in other threads, but it's worth repeating. This is a Scientific Angler DVD done by Larry Dahlberg (the "Hunt for Big Fish" guy on OLN.) One of the features is Larry demonstrating EVERY knot you need for fly fishing. He uses very thick line, so it's easy to see what he's doing.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...006000_175-6-1
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 04-12-2008 at 09:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am still looking for some one to split a trip with Henry. Cant find any takers around here. You are correct about expense but you cant put a price on a good time. I plan to try this new rig and bugs out this week on westpoint. Thanks for all the good info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by foul hook View Post
    I am still looking for some one to split a trip with Henry. Cant find any takers around here.
    I'll split a trip with you sometime. A couple of months ago, I was talking to a buddy of mine about booking a trip with Henry.

Post Thanks / Like

Henry said that thelast week this mo. or the first of may would be good . Two peeps 300.Looking at the calinder it would have to be may for me. Let me know.

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been using uni-knots for over 10 years now, if you only tie half the knot to the fly line with your backing it only just gets tighter and never comes off.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/magazine...003Sp_Uniknot/
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004