Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fly Rod??????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly Rod??????

Help
    I have not fly fished for bream since I was a kid and have been thinking I wanted a fly rod this year. So I've started looking on line for one and am now more confussed than when I started.

I dont want to spend a lot of money till I see if I like it.

What to buy?????? 8' 9' what size line? I will be starting w floating popping flys.

Post Thanks / Like

I like heavier rods than most because I have an easier time casting poppers and weighted flies with them, and I think it's more fun to play fish on a stiffer rod. I'd suggest a 9' 6wt or 7wt. Most people will suggest lighter rods, though.

Look through the "Panfish" forum for similar threads. Almost all the fly fishing threads are in that forum. This question has come up a lot before.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got this outfit last month...nice setup has everything you need to get started fly fishing for 'gills, just need to buy you some poppers. Can't beat the price either.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_175-1-3
    For the Everlasting Glory of the Infantry.

JeffinLA Guest

Saw this and thought I would throw in my .02. I normally fly fish for bream (and whatever else will bite). I've always favored white popping bugs.

As far as what size rod, I like a 6 weight. I have a 9 foot 7 weight that I have used for years, but recently picked up a 8 1/2 foot 6 weight that seems to work even better. I have it loaded with WF-6F (weight forward, 6 wt., floating). I use tapered leaders and make tippets from 6wt monofilament. Or for bream, you can just use the same monofilament for the whole leader. They aren't THAT finicky...

I'm quite a sight fly fishing around here. Not many people do it, and when I do, I'm fishing from a pirogue and using a kayak paddle. I get a few looks anyway.

Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think a 6-weight for bluegill is a little overkill, but then again what the heck do I know?

A 6 is a good all-round rod.

I use a 3 or 4 weight and have lots of fun. You'll figure out what works best for you.

The best advice is to settle on a rod, then get out and catch fish.

I fish popping bugs or other surface flies until they quit hitting. I'll then go subsurface.
    Steve
    Southern Drawl Kayak Fishing
    Native Watercraft-endorsed guide
    gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to think about before getting a rod is where you're going to be fishing. Around here we usually fly fish oxbows inside the big cypress. I use a 7ft and mostly roll cast poppers, the shorter rod is great for flippin around while you're under the trees.

If your gonna be out in the open then this probably won't matter but just thought I'd add my two pennies.
    Get Your Grease Hot!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGibson View Post
    I think a 6-weight for bluegill is a little overkill, but then again what the heck do I know?
    Steve, I've completely reversed my stance on rod action. I started out on ultra lights and have almost completely abandoned them. My favorite bluegill spinning rods are my 12-14' float rods. They are very stiff for the lower 80% of the rod but the tips are soft. They are INCREDIBLE for playing any fish. If I could find a fly rod with that action, I'd buy half a dozen! :D

To each, his own, though. Fly rods are a lot like women: one man's Ellie May is another man's Miss Jane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Steve, I've completely reversed my stance on rod action. I started out on ultra lights and have almost completely abandoned them. My favorite bluegill spinning rods are my 12-14' float rods. They are very stiff for the lower 80% of the rod but the tips are soft. They are INCREDIBLE for playing any fish. If I could find a fly rod with that action, I'd buy half a dozen! :D

To each, his own, though. Fly rods are a lot like women: one man's Ellie May is another man's Miss Jane.
    I totally agree and that's why I hesitate to downplay anyone's opinion or preference. What works for me might not be the best for the next person.

A lot of it has to do with the waters you are fishing.
    Steve
    Southern Drawl Kayak Fishing
    Native Watercraft-endorsed guide
    gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.com