Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something To Do While The Crappie Fishing Is Off

Post Thanks / Like

Default Something To Do While The Crappie Fishing Is Off

We had a pretty good time this morning doing a little trout fishing:

It wasn't crappie but the action was pretty good. We were pulling #5 Orange Crawdad Shadraps into the current just fast enough to keep the boat moving forward or just holding in place. In about two and a half hours we hooked over 25 trout and kept our limit of 5-each.

Thank you CharlieK for putting us on some fish and showing us how to get-r-done!

There are some walleye in the same area but we didn't land any. We had a couple fish on that we thought were walleye including one that broke Grubby off when he set the hook.

It will give us something to do while Greeson is messed up. There are some crappie a little ways down the river but we didn't have any success at finding them. The wind was really bad so we didn't try some of the places we would have liked to.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you guys have adapted well! I actually went to town a while ago and bought a salmon fillet and grilled it.:o
    With all this water over here and then the wind on top of that I just can't get in to trying to find the crappie.
    I might try to put some structures together tomorrow just to get some of this stuff ready to get out of the yard.
    I'm going to take some high water pics tomorrow and try to get 'em posted.
    Nice looking trout!!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Good job Jerry

Thanks for showing the catch.

Nothing wrong with a frying pan full of trout now and again either.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Brush them down with butter olive oil and lemon slices, lemon pepper and some basil, wrap in aluminum foil and put on the grill turning a couple times in the process. That is fine eating!

Post Thanks / Like

We went after them again this morning. We had four limits of trout in four passes of our run and the 19" walleye, less than 2 hours. David's wife, Jody, got a hit today like he did yesterday and broke her off instantly. Caught the walleye on a lavender/pearl Norman Baby N that we put a red dot on the bottom near the bill. Surprise, surprise, that was the trick Charlie told us about - thanks good man. We made two passes without a walleye and was in the middle of our third when we remembered the red dot. Put one on it and David hooked up inside of two minutes. We all had a blast despite the strong, cool winds.

Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Morris View Post
    We went after them again this morning. We had four limits of trout in four passes of our run and the 19" walleye, less than 2 hours. David's wife, Jody, got a hit today like he did yesterday and broke her off instantly. Caught the walleye on a lavender/pearl Norman Baby N that we put a red dot on the bottom near the bill. Surprise, surprise, that was the trick Charlie told us about - thanks good man. We made two passes without a walleye and was in the middle of our third when we remembered the red dot. Put one on it and David hooked up inside of two minutes. We all had a blast despite the strong, cool winds.

I use a lot of Chartreuse 1/16 oz jigs. I put a red dot of finger nail polish behind the head of the jig and it makes a very big difference in the number of hits that you will get.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    I use a lot of Chartreuse 1/16 oz jigs. I put a red dot of finger nail polish behind the head of the jig and it makes a very big difference in the number of hits that you will get.
    Been doing that for years but i put it in front on top some like the nose area! On a good day they wear the paint off!! Mostly for crappies and bream!
    Reel foot yankee

Post Thanks / Like

Its off here too! Been catching some nice cats though,And hopefully things will be better mid week! 35* right now.
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch Darryl!

Up North, we go after trout while the water is up in the spring. We went after steelies Sunday morning - it was snowing on our drive to the creek (typical steelie weather). Limit is one on Lake Ontario tributaries and this male is 24" - fillets now in the fridge for tonight.

The walleye are running right now too - same creek. Folks were catching 5 and 10 pounders. It's a shame they're not in season yet

Post Thanks / Like

Tell Grubby a slight smile wouldn't kill him! LOL That is the next thing I am gonna try is trout fishing. They let a ton of them loose around here including a few Brookies and Brownies here lately. I have a Cherrywood with a Martin reel from a few years back that feels kinda neglected. I have always been a crappie purist, but why pass up a chance to catch the second prettiest fish? Glad ya'll had fun. Reaches out into cyberspace and makes a smiley on Grubby. Take care Jerry and David aka Grubby. FATBOY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast