Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: pontoon question

Post Thanks / Like

Default pontoon question

I am looking to buy a pontoon boat. What are the advantages and disadvantages of an inboard outboard motor? I have not seen a lot of pontoons running inboard outboards and want to know if there is a reason for that? Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

My next door neighbor replaced his old 24' with a new 24' that has the I/O. He really likes it and said he wouldn't have another outboard. I've not had any experience with them and only had one pontoon, a 24' with outboard. I would suppose the main reason that most people go with the OB is weight and cost. Don't really know.

A day late, a dollar short and two drinks behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to consider is an I/O MUST be winterized when freezing temperatures are expected. This may keep you from using it during the winter months. One more thing to consider.
    Endangering the crappie way of life in two different centuries.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the good info. It is very much appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

I have had seven Pontoon boats, none with I/O. An old Dealer told me once when I asked about I/O power for the pontoon, "if something goes wrong with the I/O, you have a major repair operation, If somethings goes wrong with an Outboard, take it off, put another on and you are back in business". He handled both in his business, but was just a good Dealer. The other factor is the power to weight ratio. You get a lot more power from an outboard with much less weight. One final factor,if you leave it in the water, muskrats love to eat the rubber boot around the outdrive of the i/o. I currently have a 21' Fisher Liberty 200 with a 90 HP 4 Stroke Mercury. The 4 Stroke is as quiet as an I/O, and very powerful.