Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a little help

Post Thanks / Like

Default a little help

Have been reading the mail here for a couple weeks. Just got signed up and
    could use a little help-tips on what the normal format is communicating on
    this site. (1st computer)
    I am very near Diascund, Little Creek, and Chickahominy. 2 weeks ago I
    caught 2 crappie at Diaschund that measured just under 17" & 161/2".
    I got a few pics on a friend's dig. camera so when either of us take the
    time to figure out the deal on getting them onscreen, I will. There's a pic
    of them at Stewart's Grocery and if you live or fish around here you know
    where that is. Weighed them the following day at A&S Feed in Gouchester
    they went 2 lbs.13 oz. & 2 lbs. 10 oz. Had a total of 7 and 4 were over 15".
    They are the best in 2 yrs. of fishing VA. Had 2 bigger ones about 10 yrs.
    back in TX. Look forward to any input on using this site.

Jeff
    Toana, VA
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff, welcome to the site. You are always welcome to report or ask questions and someone will respond. New contributors are always appreciated.
    I fished Diascund for 2 years but that was about 3 years ago. We always did best in the dead of winter and would find the crappie suspende in open water 10 to 15 ft. deep. The best day I had we had to break skim ice to launch the boat.
    The best luck for me has been at the end of the lake towards 64.
    Some of the guys are planning a trip to Little Creek in June to work on the Shellcrackers and you would welcome to join. It will be a good chance to put some faces with names. I've been here for several months and have only actually met 2 of the guys that post.
    Welcome aboard and keep those reports coming.- Brad Baker
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site Jeff. Always heard those lakes were good and now I believe it. Nice fish. Were you trolling? If you can, what are the restrictions as far as boats and motors go on these lakes. Ive wanted to go for some time now but wasnt sure if I could put a 60 HP motor in or not. Heard you had to take the prop off and other things but dont know for sure. Do you need a special permit? Thanks and congrats on the nice fish. Billy

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard. No format here, just a lot of folks sharing information and having fun. Get those pictures posted. Brad needs some competition.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Keith, I think the wind is going to die on Sat. night. I was thinking of going to W. Branch on Sun. but what do you think about Beaverdam. Been there once several years ago.
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Post Thanks / Like

Wellcome to the site. I'm pretty new as well. Your thread tittle was labeled "a little help". Well with fish like that maybe you can help us. :D Look forward to sharing some info.
    NEED MORE COWBELL!!
    JD

Post Thanks / Like

welcome Jeff from down here in currituck NC. I have just returned to fishing and bought a canoe last year. Have een fishing most of NC and some up at sufolk lakes. Will be out this weekend at sufolk or Bob's. Hope to see ya out.

Dave
    currituck NC
    dave
    in currituck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel hunter
    Hey Keith, I think the wind is going to die on Sat. night. I was thinking of going to W. Branch on Sun. but what do you think about Beaverdam. Been there once several years ago.
    I went to Beaverdam on Sunday, 4/10, for a short while. The surface water temperature was 60-65. Things were slow that afternoon, so I put the boat on the trailer and went to hit a bucket of balls instead. I need to work the hook out of my fairway woods.

If the winds die down, the standing timber on the right side of the 606 creek as you enter it may be a good place. They should be headed there any day if they are not already there. I've been doing fairly well trolling the staging areas just off that timber my last few trips and the recent weather may have backed them out of the shallow timber to those areas.

I did see some signs that the coontail grass is starting to emerge on my last trip. That will change my trolling pattern around mid-May. Once the grass gets established, I'll be trolling just over top of the larger beds along the main part of the lake. There are times that I will have a fish on all six rods when I'm on this pattern. I'm as busy as a three legged cat in a sand box when this happens :D . I don't get the big ones this way, but I sure get the medium ones.

Let us know how you do if you go. We have company this weekend, so I'm in dry dock until Monday or Tuesday.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff,

I also live near Diascund, and fish there often. Have you been to Little Creek?

I've been meaning to check it out. Where in Tx. did you live? I moved from

Austin six years ago.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Billy-
    Thanks for the welcome. I'd like to go into my secret technique of mystery-jigging
    handmade 2" split-tailed laserlizards in VDOT traffic cone orange, but the truth is I
    flew a couple re-con missions around the resevoir in my truck in the preceding days
    with a cane pole that I duct-taped one our critters' rectal thermometers to check-
    ing the water temp. I'm not joking, this is how sick fishing can make you in my world.
    When it seemed right I went armed with jigs&minnows and went to where a creek
    funneled out from the resevoir, ran thru a culvert under the road, and fanned out
    into a swamp. Caught all my fish within spitting distance from where I stood road-
    side. So basicly to sum things up, all the glitter & glamore with the 2 slabs, etc....
    I drove on over to the side of the road and hit it at the right time. ! Unfortune-
    ately 2 dudes who happened upon me after I caught the 2 big ones have been
    there every single time I have returned to check things out. I don't mean unfortune-
    ately because they are taking up the fishing space but I'm wondering how long a
    man can go without sleep.
    Hope this posts, as I am clueless on this PC.
    Later - Jeff
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast