Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Little Trolling info For You From Me

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Little Trolling info For You From Me

There have been lots of questions about Trolling for me so here is a little help in that area.

You need a variable speed Tm and start by setting it on 3 and adjust for the fish and wind. Just tie the jig (or RR) on and cast it out to the said and kind of back as far as you can and take off. Hold you rod out to the side and if you feel any thump even a tiny one, pull your rod forward a good bit as sometime they are moving with you. Once you hook up stop the TM so you don't put any extra pressure on the fish. One little trick I use a good bit and I am sure it works a great deal is every once in a while let you line slack by moving it back and then hole until it tight again. Many times a bite will happen then. I call that the Skip Dip, LOL! After no bite just pull your rod back to where it's comfortable. I believe that is the first time I have told on a board about the Skip Dip. but I am not sure.

As I said in the other thread fish like this around over than through Hydrilla. I have been fishing like this Spring and Fall since the late 70's and never use a weight other than the jig it self. I catch them in 3' to 14' of water trolling a 1/32oz. RR. The 14' was in the Fall back when as I didn't and have not done that is a good while.

Last fall I got busy tying jigs and didn't get to fish much at all. The reason it worked in the Fall it also was over a Hydrilla spot that had deep water all around and the top of the 14' of water was covered in Hydrilla and was a narrow short spot, but I have caught more fish fast there than any other spot in my life.

Good Luck,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice post Skip. I do all of the above except the Skip-Dip. You can bet I'll be giving it a try as soon as the water temps around here start coming up!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joejv4 View Post
    Nice post Skip. I do all of the above except the Skip-Dip. You can bet I'll be giving it a try as soon as the water temps around here start coming up!
    I promise you will be surprised how many times when you let the slack take up that a fish it on or just hitting then. I have believed for a long time that some time crappie will be following you jig for a short time and when you let it stop and fall a bit right in front of his face he just can't stand it.

Good Luck,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Please don't take this the wrong way. A variable speed trolling motor would be nice but unfortunately they are quite a bit more expensive. Remember, folks were long lining long before variable speed trolling motors were even available.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

On stopping the lure, I remember back in my bassing days casting Bandits my son and I ran into a big school of nice crappie and the best way to get them to bite was to stop your lure for a second or so and when you started it back up they would be there or hit the plug so I have been a big fan of very slow movement for crappie. I mainly spider rig now and hate strong wind and boat wakes. Always seems like I get in a wake when I'm coming up on a good stump. Don't know anything about longline trolling tho.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I do the moving the rod back trick and that works for me to,I have also noticed that what turning the boat around while longline trolling that when I get back on track and start going straight again and the line gets back to being tight that I either have a fish on or shortly after that will have a bite.I don't have a varible speed trolling motor,but I wish I did.

Post Thanks / Like

not sure what im doing wrong but with my trolling motor on 3 and a 1/32 oz jig i will be skipping across the top of the water. I never go less than a 1/8 and most of the time 1/4oz and im on 2-3 unless the wind is up.
    Brush Buster

Post Thanks / Like

I belieeve this tactic works on all fish. My idea her is that they hit in self defense. It is called survival. Kill or be killed.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys you don't have to have one, but it makes it so much easier as with a 5 speed you don't have a way to make the set speeds IMHO. If you look around ebay you may find one of the things Minn Kota use to make to convert a 5 speed to a variable speed for not so much money.

I can't remember what they call that thing, but if you call Minn Kota they can tell you and if you really want a variable speed TM, then keep an eye out on ebay. I have seen them on there. Or maybe even one of the Who Has What They Don't Need page?

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

It gets hairy pulling a 2lb hog at 1.0 miles ahour or faster but I do and have lost some good ones, but hate to stop motor coz there might be more, my 2 cents on trolling is always check your jigs every few minutes, trash even a small piece for some reason seems to me they won't hit it, most trash will cause a very small bow in most rods, do this and you will out fish your partner most of the time..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast