Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spinner jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spinner jigs?

Has anyone just super glued a swivel and blade to a jig head after running the swivel over the hook, also is there any place you can buy the 2 already assembled? I have been having good luck lately with horse head jigs but losing a lot of fish, think due to that little bitty hook. I am a big hook guy and trying to figure out how to get a spinner jig with a big hook. Any ideas?
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same problem with jigs in general.....can't seem to find a bigger hook without getting a heavier jig head ? Maybe I will just have to pour my own ?
    Duane

Post Thanks / Like

What you said should work fine, if your swivel isn't big enough maybe put a split ring over the hook, tie it down, and put the swivel on the split ring and a blade on the swivel. I like big hooks, too, I don't see any point hooking a crappie in a paper thin mouth when a big hook can reach back into the top of his mouth and stick some bone.

Post Thanks / Like

Charley Brewer used to put a swivel on the back of the hook with the spinner attached. It had a four inch worm and was called the called the InkyDink I think. It was basically a slider with a small spinner and named after an ole fishing partner of his Inky Gillmore. I don't see why it wouldn't work for crappie jigs also.

A day late, a dollar short and two drinks behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Cant tell you wher I found them. They do exist. Try J&M hunting supplies They have numerous jigs listed by brand.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Charlie still does ....

Quote Originally Posted by lag View Post
    Charley Brewer used to put a swivel on the back of the hook with the spinner attached. It had a four inch worm and was called the called the InkyDink I think. It was basically a slider with a small spinner and named after an ole fishing partner of his Inky Gillmore. I don't see why it wouldn't work for crappie jigs also.
    and it's called a Whirley Bee - http://www.fishingworld.com/Slider/D...4612602&SKU=WB

(not using the same plastic body as the Inky)

... cp

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Steve ...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Has anyone just super glued a swivel and blade to a jig head after running the swivel over the hook, also is there any place you can buy the 2 already assembled? I have been having good luck lately with horse head jigs but losing a lot of fish, think due to that little bitty hook. I am a big hook guy and trying to figure out how to get a spinner jig with a big hook. Any ideas?
    look here, and see if this is what you're looking for : http://www.fishingworld.com/Slider/D...79046104612602

You may also want to consider using a jighead that's not necessarily a "horsehead/ponyhead" shape ... perhaps a custom-made one, with a #2 hook ... and adding the spinner rigging to that. "Smoothlures" idea about using a split ring, has great merit. It not only allows you to slip your spinner setup over the hook point (& even the retainer barb, of a regular jighead) ... but, it also puts the spinner blade farther away from the jig body, allowing it to more freely spin (without coming in contact with the underside of the plastic body, and disturbing the action of the blade).

Some other considerations, that I can think of, besides the Charlie Bee ... would be the Whirley Bee (Charlie Brewer) http://www.fishingworld.com/Slider/D...4612602&SKU=WB .... and the Crappie Pro Blade Heads (available painted or unpainted) http://www.crappiepro.com/store/Stor...TOKEN=47994797
    And don't forget Blakemore Roadrunners ... they come in varying sizes/shapes and just the heads (packaged) - http://ttiblakemore.com/shop/index.p...5baa68d9e97712

Or, take a look at all these, and come up with ideas of your own

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.northlandtackle.com/Category/main.taf?cat=59

This jighead is available down to 1/16 oz. The head sets mostly below the hook shank giving you a better hook-up. It also has an eye for attaching a spinner.
    Hey...jerk...your bobber's under!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I go up to size #2 hooks on a 1/32 oz. jig. My Roadrunners with have a #4 hook I hope.

I have 1/8 oz. jig with a #1 Sickle so if you want big hooks I have them.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!