Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Lights and Corrosion, Tech Info!!!!!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Lights and Corrosion, Tech Info!!!!!

As some of you know, I teach electronics...I have received several private emails concerning (what to do about) corrosion and the boat running lights....This is what to do:

Use bulb grease. It is a conductive lubricant that prevents corrosion in the prongs and recepticles of the light fixtures...Clean the prongs and recepticles good (get the lights working) then apply a small amount of this lubricant on the prongs and recepticles of the lighting devices...Don't apply too much, as the lubricant is conductive..

I use it in my boat trailer lights, boat dock lights, boat running lights, battery connectors, etc..Works very good... If and when you have to replace a bulb, it comes out easily without breaking....

Most new cars, trucks, etc.. comes with this stuff applied to the lighting system....you can get it at most local auto parts store....BULB GREASE!!! It works wonders....

My input for what it is worth...

Happy Crappie Days,

Cane Pole
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default now that's info that everyone needs ...

Thanks Cane Pole !! That's the kind of information that helps everybody !! I'm going to have to make a point of stopping at one of the auto parts places, here in town, and picking me up a tube. My partners boat needs it in all the lighting sockets, boat and trailer !! ....thanks and luck2ya...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great Advise and Thanks for the tip

Here is another tip that I developed to clean the electrical trailer plug connectors. I use the 4 wire type flat connector on my truck and trailer but have used this method on the 6 wire square type plugs also.

If you have a 22 cal rifle or handgun there is a good possibilty that you have a gun cleaning kit that includes a long wire cleaning device that is screwed onto the end of the gun cleaning rods to help get the gun powder out of the barrel.

I use this wire brush like device to clean the inside copper of my electrical plugs. Just stick the metal end into a varialbe speed electric portable battery operated drill and set the tension to let the ractche slip easily. Now use the other end of the wire brush to clean the inside of the electrical connectors. The 22cal gun barrel is the same size of the inside of the electrical connectors holes.

If you don't have a gun cleaning kit you may be able to purchase a replacement tip ie the bush attachment by itself. It's a perfect fit. And you can insert the tool inside the electrical plugs and turn it by hand if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    As some of you know, I teach electronics...I have received several private emails concerning (what to do about) corrosion and the boat running lights....This is what to do:

Use bulb grease. It is a conductive lubricant that prevents corrosion in the prongs and recepticles of the light fixtures...Clean the prongs and recepticles good (get the lights working) then apply a small amount of this lubricant on the prongs and recepticles of the lighting devices...Don't apply too much, as the lubricant is conductive..

I use it in my boat trailer lights, boat dock lights, boat running lights, battery connectors, etc..Works very good... If and when you have to replace a bulb, it comes out easily without breaking....

Most new cars, trucks, etc.. comes with this stuff applied to the lighting system....you can get it at most local auto parts store....BULB GREASE!!! It works wonders....

Happy Crappie Days,

Cane Pole
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Very good idea Moose...I use a similar device (brush used for cleaning desoldering guns) which is about the same thing...Be sure to put ther grease to it and you will find yourself cleaning far less...By the way, who sells the brush tips? I am sure it would be far less expensive than what I use.

Cane Pole

Post Thanks / Like

Default Forgot Something

Dremel makes (and sells) a 1/8 inch wire brush...Clip a few "hairs" from the brush, put it in the old portable drill, and clean the boat running light connectors.

Cane Pole

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wal-Mart

You can get them at Wal-Mart in the sporting goods dept. I suspect that most sporting goods stores that sell guns will carry those brush tip. You won't need to buy the entire cleaning kit as they sell the replacement brushs individually.

I went to Wal-Mart and could not find the gease that you spoke of. Maybe Autozone or Prep-Boys will carry that stuff. If not I can go to the Electronics Wholesale store and find some.

Very good idea Moose...I use a similar device (brush used for cleaning desoldering guns) which is about the same thing...Be sure to put ther grease to it and you will find yourself cleaning far less...By the way, who sells the brush tips? I am sure it would be far less expensive than what I use.

Cane Pole
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

AUTOZONE carrys it, but not in a tube...I think they carry it in a capsule....I got mine at Hobby-Lobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Cane Pole,
    Thanks for the information on the Bulb Grease... I always used silicone grease and it worked well about keeping the corrosion under control. I wasn't aware that they made one for bulb use, I'm going to try it....

Since this has started to turn into a Hink's and Kink's posting, let me pass on one of mine....

My old motor, a 72 Mercury 20 hp, it could be a little hard to crank at times, I started to carry a can of Starting Fluid in the boat. If it didn't start on the first couple of turns, I would give it a shot in the carb. And away it would go.... The engine reving up just made things take off and everything was fine.... No need to wear out the starter and battery.

Now that I have a 4 stroke Yamaha, I haven't needed it yet, but I may the next time I go out. But the best thing is all the other motors at the boat dock that I've helped out... I've seen others just grinding away and never get it fired up the first hit.. I would offer a shot of the starter fluid and they would fire up and run. I think sometimes they just need those extra's RPM to get things going.

This does prove 2 things.. If it fires and then dies, it says that there is a gas problem. If it doesn't fire at all, it says that there is an ignition problem and not a gas problem.

At the last Spring Fling, a rather large boat was put in the water and just about run the battery down when I offered the starter fluid. One good shot and it fired off and were they surprised. Said They had to start carring a can with them.. I've almost used up my can on other people in the last 2 years.

I would always leave the cover off after the shot of fluid for safty reason...

I noticed you said that you taught electronics. What type and where. I'm a retired Broadcast Engineer. I had 11 TV stations, 8 FM and 7 Weather transmitters to over see. We put on the first DTV station in SC. You probably know how aggravating engineering people can be to work with...

Thanks for the tip
    Gerald K4NHN

Happy Crappie Days,

Cane Pole
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting fluid

Be very careful using starting fluid in a 2 stroke motor, it has no lubricating qualities and it washes off the residual lubricates the engine had. I personally would not recommend using it, and am reasonably sure it would void your warranty if it became an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think a short burst of starting fluid will damage a boat motor but you sure don't want to use too much - for the risk of fire as well as the risk of scoring your cylinders.

Before using starting fluid be sure the motor is getting fuel so it is also getting lubrication (2-cycle).

If a short (1-second) burst of starting fluid doesn't get it running then it's time to try something else. If you try keep a 2-cycle motor running with starting fluid you could do some serious damage.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast