Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Post Spawn Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Post Spawn Crappie

Where do crappie go after the spawn is over? I can catch them prespawn and during the spawn but they seem to disappear after its over. I would think they go back to the closest deep water with a food source and structure but just wondering what ya'll think.

Post Thanks / Like

You hit the nail on the head...however, they will stay in the water column with the highest amount of DO (dissolved oxygen) and THAT'S where you want to fish after the spawn. Now they will gradually head to deep water after the spawn and they usually 'stage' prior to going to deep water structure.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

How do you determine where the highest amount of DO is?

Post Thanks / Like

when the water starts to heat up and forms a thermocline you can turn the sensitivity up on the sonar and the thermocline will show up as a hazy line on the screen
    fishing and filleting; that's how I roll!:D

Post Thanks / Like

The fish will tell you that. Look at your electronics and see what depth the fish are holding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Obsessed View Post
    when the water starts to heat up and forms a thermocline you can turn the sensitivity up on the sonar and the thermocline will show up as a hazy line on the screen
    We don't really have a thermocline on our lakes because of generation, the water changes out every 7 - 10 days.

Post Thanks / Like

Then like willfish4food said, just watch you electronics and see where the fish are hanging out at. Accurately reading your electronics can make all the difference in the world when it comes to post season fishing.
    fishing and filleting; that's how I roll!:D

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, How far do you think they will travel from the spawning grounds to deep water where they will pretty much stay for the summer?

Post Thanks / Like

I know that in the small, shallow lakes I fish, once the water temps really get to climbing in the summer, they seem to scatter and head for the edges of weed beds. At that point, if I try to catch them I more apt to get a green carp or a pike than a crappie. Gets real frustrating.