Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Going to Kentucky Lake

ROUNDMAN Guest

Thumbs up Going to Kentucky Lake

Im new here to Crappie .com and only consider myself as a little above a beginner crappie fisherman, I am going to Kentucky Lake this weekend and will be fishing aroung the Benton area, or near the dam. I have never been to Kentucky Lake. Any suggetions on how to bring home some slabs.

Post Thanks / Like

First welcome aboard....been putting off going down cuz of all the rain and fronts...good luck and I'm sure someone will give you some tips...post your results when you get back.
    Duane

Post Thanks / Like

A little birdie told me:

"Most of the Crappie are still holding in deeper water over brush, a few folks are starting to catch a number of Black Crappie in shallow water (3-6 ft) on spawning patterns."
    Hey...jerk...your bobber's under!!!

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Roundman, welcome. KY Lake and Barkley are about 6 feet over summer pool and getting more rain right now. It's been really tough, even for the guides. It's supposed to be down in the low 40s at night this weekend so the water won't likely hit spawning temps for a while. Not a lot of good to report lately. Some have been catching a few by fishing minnows under bobbers cast near shallow to mid depth cover. There's a lot of that since everything is flooded. Good luck, wish I had a better report.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful when you're motorin' around, there's a LOT of debris.
    Hey...jerk...your bobber's under!!!

ROUNDMAN Guest

Thanks for the info and the new welcome. I'll post my report when I get home

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the site roundman. we put off our trip to ky lake, mabe until may now.
    Dave

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Roundman ...

Quote Originally Posted by ROUNDMAN View Post
    Im new here to Crappie .com and only consider myself as a little above a beginner crappie fisherman, I am going to Kentucky Lake this weekend and will be fishing aroung the Benton area, or near the dam. I have never been to Kentucky Lake. Any suggetions on how to bring home some slabs.
    IF you go, and IF you can get a boat launched, and IF the lake isn't falling fast ....... fish around the live trees/bushes/brush that are flooded. IF you fish in a cove that has a campground in it (mostly on the LBL side) ... fish around the concrete picnic tables, too (as long as they have a couple of feet of water under them).
    IF they're pulling the water down slow ... fish the submerged brush you can find, that's in at least 8-10ft of water. BUT ... IF they're pulling it hard, then back out to the first major drop or closest channel ledge.
    How you fish, will be determined by what depth the fish are holding in ... so be prepared to use slip floats/minners -- vertical jigging -- KY Rig or Dropshot w/minners -- or casting weedless jigs into/over submerged brush/timber.
    Don't think the cold spell will change the water temps all that much ... at least not over the weekend, anyway ... but, the shallow fish may slow down their activity, or move out to slightly deeper water.

I ain't giving any guarantees, on any of these suggestions :p but, IF I was headed down there (a 5+hr drive, for me) ... this is what I'd do. WHY, you ask ... because I've fished it twice before, when the lakes were flooded up into the trees & campgrounds ... and these are the ONLY ways I caught fish

... luck2ya ... cp

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Save yourself a trip. I done got all the slabs this year. Only dinks left.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"