PDA

View Full Version : Chestnut Lamprey/pictures

NIMROD
04-08-2008, 03:11 PM
I caught a Crappie today that had this on it.:eek: We had posts about them earlier and I wanted to show a live one.:cool:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/nimrodfishing/001.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/nimrodfishing/002.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/nimrodfishing/003.jpg

Bluegilll
04-08-2008, 03:13 PM
:eek: what is that creature.

Do you eat the crappie that has them creatures stuck on them?

creekslick
04-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Nimrod, I caught several 2 years ago out of the White River that had those on them. Caught a white bass at Georgetown this year before the flood that had one.

NIMROD
04-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Yes Creekslick we have caught several over the years on Crappie in the spring.

beagle man
04-08-2008, 03:33 PM
so never seen anything like that arround here, what is it?

jstlovtofish
04-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Well I for one don't like the looks of that critter. I really hope I don't catch any down here. They look mean.:eek::eek:

NIMROD
04-08-2008, 03:39 PM
:eek: what is that creature.

Do you eat the crappie that has them creatures stuck on them?

http://campus.murraystate.edu/academic/faculty/howard.whiteman/field/fish/chestnutlamprey.html

crappieseeker
04-08-2008, 04:22 PM
I have caught hundreds of crappie over the years out of the Tennessee river that had them on it. However every one i caught that had one of those came out of the same fishing hole. I never caught them at another location with them, seems odd.

J White
04-08-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm one of the ones that was posting last Spring about them -
Thanks for putting a picture of it up, I think a bunch of folks didn't
believe it was really lampreys I was catching. But they were just like what
you have there.

I'd saw 'em stuck on some blue cat, but never on Crappie till then.
We caught three or four fish with them, and had friends catch
several too. This was TN river, Pickwick, Mills Creek area.
Have not seen them this year, hope I don't! ;)

Miller
04-08-2008, 05:31 PM
All I have to say is GROSS. That thing looks like something out of a nightmare:eek:

shild
04-08-2008, 06:02 PM
I just taught my science class about lampreys this week! Let me know if you'd like to make a donation to our class and send it up to me! :-) I've got preservative formalin liquid that I could put it in.

Daplumber
04-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Looks like some alien outer space thing.

Specktater
04-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Lamprey=Crazy delicious, throw away the crappie and eat the lamprey.

Nah!!!:D

NIMROD
04-08-2008, 07:47 PM
I just taught my science class about lampreys this week! Let me know if you'd like to make a donation to our class and send it up to me! :-) I've got preservative formalin liquid that I could put it in.

Sorry ,but my 10th grader is taking it to science class.:)

wrwest
04-08-2008, 09:10 PM
You can have them.

joejv4
04-09-2008, 07:10 AM
we chop their heads off and toss 'em in the trash. The Great Lakes had lamprey problems real bad a few years ago and most of the Great Lakes State DNR/DEC used "lampricide" to kill a ton of them off. We still get them from time to time, but not like before. At one time it got so you could hardly catch a fish that didn't have on on it.

Nasty critters!

PapermouthLegend
04-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Lamprey eels. We don't see them much on Crappie, but occasinally will catch a smallmouth in the rivers with them stuck to them.

M R Dux
04-09-2008, 07:57 AM
My wife and I were bluegill fishing the LBL side of KY Lake a few years ago and had a big bluegill keep coming to the surface. It would struggle to go back down then come up again. I just figured it had been deep hooked and released by the way it was struggling. It turned its side to us and we could see a lamprey about 5-6 inches long stuck to it. We tried to net it so we could get the nasty thing off but we not able to. I mentioned it to some of the locals and they had not seen them around here. Thats the only one I've seen. I have seen gills with scars on them that look like they may have been from a lamprey.

DRPEPPER
04-09-2008, 07:58 AM

It appears to me that Nimrod is already preserving or pickeling that one in what ever that clear liquid is in that Mason Jar.
Tater or corn sqeezings??:D
DP

NIMROD
04-09-2008, 08:20 AM
we chop their heads off and toss 'em in the trash. The Great Lakes had lamprey problems real bad a few years ago and most of the Great Lakes State DNR/DEC used "lampricide" to kill a ton of them off. We still get them from time to time, but not like before. At one time it got so you could hardly catch a fish that didn't have on on it.

Nasty critters!

The ones in the great lakes are not the samething. These are only inches long and are native.

joejv4
04-10-2008, 08:52 AM
The ones in the great lakes are not the samething. These are only inches long and are native.

As Ed McMahan used to say on the Tonight show: "You are correct sir". The Great Lakes problem was "sea lampreys", not chestnut lampreys. To me, any species of lamprey is just a parasite, and any time I get a fish with any kind of lamprey on it, the lamprey's head comes off and the whole nasty thing goes in the trash. Excellent photos, by the way!