Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I bummed about Crappie fishing so far this year!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I bummed about Crappie fishing so far this year!!

This year isn't going like I thought/HOPE. I have been out about 10 times for crappie, at a farm pond I did okay, 7 in 1 1/2 hours. I have read about every post, searched all the info on here, bought homemade jigs, used minnows, the weather has sucked, the wind has been blow, the rain has been raining, the water level has been up and down, the temp has been all over the place & i can't catch squat!!!!!!

I'm getting really discourage, got a good bass boat so I can get where they are supposed to be and they aren't there. When I can't get there they are there I think because they aren't where I'm at!!!

I just hope it gets better SOON or I'm going back to bass fishing 100% time.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep chin high.Thats why we call it fishing....not catching.It will get better in time.Hang in there it has to get better from sound of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't go giving up just yet! This spring has given everyone some pretty screwy weather and it's been discouraging for lots of us. Heck, a half hour drive to the NE of my house, they still haven't had ice-out yet! We only had ice out just last week. Poor Cane Pole has had is dock completely submerged.

I see you're from Kansas, I'd hit the Kansas board and see what the other folks are getting... probably having similar results to you. No need to go back to chasing green carp - where's the challenge in that? Take finding and catching crappie as a personal challenge. I'm sure you'll be up to it. Especially since you've found a secret weapon - crappie.com.

Stick with it, it'll get better.

Post Thanks / Like

fillet up those 7 crappie, Then, Fry one of those bass..............you'll be back.
    "Dats.........uhh......NO-ICE.........FUSH!"

-Al Linder

Post Thanks / Like

Hang in there...this has been the worse year for spring crappie because of high water and cold weather/wind.

It will get better in the next 10 days. Why?

1) Fish must eat.
    2) Crappie will gorge like all fish for energy
    3) Crappie must spawn
    4) Crappie are just a little more finiky than most fish, so they will drive you nuts until one day.........................and they will give you a great reward.

Remember, the spawn is a late this year by at least two weeks.

D
    My Wife Fillets The Fish! I am a fortunate man.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, I was discouraged until last night when the pre-spawn came. Just another 80 fish for the freezer. :D
    My Wife Fillets The Fish! I am a fortunate man.

Post Thanks / Like

I ,in NO way, intend this to mean you dont know what you are doing so PLEASE don't read that into it!

I find that crappie fishing is more like hunting (which I would gladly kill all of you to participate in!!!!!!:D) Just kidding, but to say I like to hunt is an understatement. I think that is why I like to crappie fish more than to bass fish or anything else. While there are a lot of similarities in bass and crappie fishing, the "hunting part" of it differs.

Example, bass will pretty much go shallow MOST, not all, but MOST times of the year to feed. Crappie only come up to the banks shallow once a year (for the most part) to spawn. Even then, on some lakes, they spawn out on humps in the middle in 5, 6, 9, or deeper water than that! Depends on the lake right? My point is, using the depth finder, topo maps, good info from guys on here, searching for them, applying proven techniques, and then FINDING them is an adrenaline rush you can't reproduce. Bass are everywhere, they are tough sometimes, but most times you can stumble on them. Crappie tend to be a bit more elusive.

So, what you are experiencing is normal. They do it to us all from time to time. It will take ONE GOOD TRIP, when all the techniques you use, all the info you have, and all the knowledge you gather ALL come together and you HAMMER THEIR @$$!!!!! to make you change your mind!:D

Hang in there buddy, your luck will change.

Post Thanks / Like

Hang in there we all go through dry spells. Your turn will come.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Don't feel bad. I've been in the boat 2 times since the first of the year.I have caught 4 crappie. 2 from the bank. Last year this time I had caught over 150. It comes and goes. just wait, your time will come. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Very well said Kman.
    If you are a veteran or active military, THANK YOU.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast