Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Long Line Trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long Line Trolling

Anyone have some general guidelines for how much line and what weight will get down to different depths.
    I'm going to try this out this weekend as our fish are scattered and not relating to structure.

I understand boat speed,current, jig body size and other things will affect how far the jig goes down.
    When the summer comes around I'll run a few days over different flats with different set ups to dial everything in.

All I'm looking for general numbers to start with.

1/16" jig 1 mph 40 ft of line will run 5 ft.. etc.

Thanx in advance for any help.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Look in the articles section or "stuff we do not want to lose". There are several great articles on trolling on this site.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Papermouth View Post
    Anyone have some general guidelines for how much line and what weight will get down to different depths.
    I'm going to try this out this weekend as our fish are scattered and not relating to structure.

I understand boat speed,current, jig body size and other things will affect how far the jig goes down.
    When the summer comes around I'll run a few days over different flats with different set ups to dial everything in.

All I'm looking for general numbers to start with.

1/16" jig 1 mph 40 ft of line will run 5 ft.. etc.

Thanx in advance for any help.

G.
    Here is a link to some data I posted on www.yumabassman.com

http://www.yumabassman.com/bulletinb...893&highlight=

I subsequently went back to the author and asked about lighter weights. Here is what he had to say:

I just ran a case for .007 inch diameter line, 1/8 ounce lure and 1 mph. The results are a trolling depth of 15 feet with 50 feet of line out (beneath the water) and 19 feet with 100 feet of line out.

This assumes the weight is a spherical lead weight and has no additional drag. The crappy jig has additional drag so the trolled depth would be shallower. Of course trolling faster would also bring your lure up shallower. So this is probably a max troll depth and you may be shallower.

Ray
    Jim (Ike) Isaac - San Diego CA

Purveyor of sea stories, fish tales
    and other prevarications.

Post Thanks / Like

Long line trolling is something that most do a little differently i have noticed---the type of line, diameter, shape of jig head, the type of grub or lure you use, speed, current are a few of the many factors involved in the process---three basics that are desirable are a variable speed trolling motor, way to mark your speed(gps or resistance type speed indicator will work) and a good depth finder---learn your electronics and then go fishing--try and mark the fish then figure out what works with trial and error---it takes a little while to get it but i still learn something when i go--throw out the lines and troll in shallow water--watch for them to drag and then you will have an idea of how deep you are fishing a that certain speed--slow up and your lure goes down and speed up your lure goes shallower---then refine it from there with different weight heads---weigh your jig heads--just because they say 1/8 i would be you they are not even close and they differ between manufacturers---catch a crappie approx 1 lb and bend a hook around his lip and add 2 oz of weight to the line next to him--to keep him down---put the fish right under your transducer and watch him swim around and watch what your depthfinder shows you. hope this is of some help.
    Get the net!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx fellas. I'll get everything dialed in this summer for depths and speeds.
    Just wanted a starting point to work with and see what shakes out.
    Often times I put on the 2 oz weights and push cranks or jigs, but on our lake the water is real clear and we have to get the bait away from the boat.
    I'm thinking now is the time to try this tactic out.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Papermouth View Post
    Thanx fellas. I'll get everything dialed in this summer for depths and speeds.
    Just wanted a starting point to work with and see what shakes out.
    Often times I put on the 2 oz weights and push cranks or jigs, but on our lake the water is real clear and we have to get the bait away from the boat.
    I'm thinking now is the time to try this tactic out.

G.
    Another option is to use a crankbait that yoiu know the depth for and add a trailer hook. I have had doubles using this system.
    Jim (Ike) Isaac - San Diego CA

Purveyor of sea stories, fish tales
    and other prevarications.