PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your catch fresh

shayniferd
04-07-2008, 07:47 PM
What do you guys do to keep your catch fresh?
I know a livewell is the way to go, but what if you don't have a livewell and plan on fishing all day. A stringer would keep them alive, but would it work all day?
Would it be acceptable to take a cooler full of ice and throw your fish in there?
Would you have to bleed them before you threw them in, or could you just toss them in there?
I know this is probably a "rookie" question, but I haven't been fishing in years.
Thanks
Shane

stinkies daddy
04-07-2008, 07:53 PM
A stringer will work, a basket is better, and ice is acceptable and will make easier to fillet your catch

slab_slayin_fool
04-07-2008, 07:56 PM
when i plan on keeping eating fish i always get ice and put it in a bucket or cooler and keep the fish in it

if i think im gonna be walking a little i have a cooler thats made of some sort of fabric on the outside i got a wally world and it has a shoulder strap it makes it easier carrying fish and with a little water its even good to keep minnows in

Bluegilll
04-07-2008, 08:02 PM
I've never "bleed" or "gilled" w/e you perfer calling it.I've just used a stringer or ice in cooler methods myself & what few I keep to eat always seemed to be just fine to me.

willfish4food
04-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Ice

PANPHYSHER
04-07-2008, 08:32 PM
If the weather is warm I would use Ice and dont stack to many on top of each other without puting ice between them. you can allways bleed them right before you clean them. The only fish I bleed right away are some oily saltwater species like bluefish,tuna and wahoo. It definatley makes a differance on those fish. In fisherman has a good dvd called "careing for the catch" that im my opinion is worth the $12. he talkes about bleeding fish in the dvd.

TapOut64
04-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Put them on ice and you'll be fine. Just make sure the lid of your coolor is insulated and not thin. For the really hot months take some 2 litre bottles of soda and freeze them, then put your ice on top of that.

slimeyslab
04-07-2008, 09:08 PM
If I am keeping fish I will rarely use my livewells. I prefer to ice them down right when I catch them, I think it makes them firmer and easier to fillet. This also makes them easier to count.

shayniferd
04-08-2008, 03:16 AM
Thanks for the help.
I always hated to try to fillet a flopping fish, so I'll probably use ice.

EarlG
04-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Ice is by far the best way to keep your catch. A livewell is easier though and usually works fine.

TapOut64
04-08-2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the help.
I always hated to try to fillet a flopping fish, so I'll probably use ice.

I always think of when I see a big boat drag in a net full of fish on tv. They immediately put them on ice. Fresh fish equals more money for them so this must be the answer.

crappiefarmer
04-08-2008, 08:21 AM
I keep mine in the livewell and as soon as I load the boat, I drain my livewell and then dump a bag of Ice on them until I get home. This makes it easy to fillet them and they are still fresh. CF

joejv4
04-08-2008, 09:04 AM
I use a basket while I'm fishing, then put 'em in a bucket of water for the trip back to shore and home.

mrwillis
04-08-2008, 10:57 AM
ICE, COOLER, and someone to open and close it for me when I catch fish.

Ken Jones
04-12-2008, 12:22 AM
What do you guys do to keep your catch fresh?
I know a livewell is the way to go, but what if you don't have a livewell and plan on fishing all day. A stringer would keep them alive, but would it work all day?
Would it be acceptable to take a cooler full of ice and throw your fish in there?
Would you have to bleed them before you threw them in, or could you just toss them in there?
I know this is probably a "rookie" question, but I haven't been fishing in years.
Thanks
Shane

Shane I never heard of Gilling Crappie. Stringer in water or Little ice in cooler. The gentleman said buy putting the fish on ice it makes them easier to fillet. Hes right. So what ever method you use , you will have to decide what works for you. I Gill stealhead, and Salmon. I put my fingers inside of Gills and rip them out. That bleeds the fish. :)

smoothlures
04-12-2008, 01:03 AM
Ice in a cooler is just fine. If it's going to be a long day, you may want to gut and dehead them as you catch them, but it's usually not needed.
I don't like stringers...never have. I have a basket ($10 at BPS, floats incase it gets loose) I use for panfish from piers, if I'm in a boat without a livewell or on the bank, I'll throw them in a cooler.
I'll use a livewell if the boat has one, it's easy to keep them alive and if you don't catch enough you can always throw them back, plus you can cull if you hit your limit.

Crappie don't need to be bleed. This is usually only done with fish that have a red line in the fillets that makes it taste "off". Stripers have it(though I don't bleed them, or any freshwater fish), some catfish depending on size, it's mostly done in saltwater on bluefish, tuna, sharks (rarely kept) and whatnot.

luvjign
04-12-2008, 05:42 AM
It definately does not affect the outcome of the taste or condition of the fish by putting them on ice, and filleting the next day.........I do this regulary. And it's not uncommon for me to fillet them the 3rd day. Just keep plenty of ice on them. And yes, it does make them fillet out better. Ya sometimes gotta bend them a little to get'em to lay straight. I just sometimes have to stop every so often, and thaw my fingers out!!!!!