PDA

View Full Version : Google Maps

EZ1
04-13-2005, 11:09 AM
This may have been posted before, I couldn't find it here though. This is a great way to look at your favorite lake. Some will not zoom in as close as others though.
After you find your lake be sure and click on the satellite icon in the upper right hand area. Pretty neat stuff.
BIG BROTHER is watching you!!!!

http://maps.google.com/

bhodges
04-13-2005, 11:36 AM
yeah, I've been playing with it.

The usaphotomaps thing is still better, but this one is pretty cool in that you can put in a town name and find it, and you can flip back and forth between the map and the satellite photos.

CrappieLips
04-13-2005, 11:36 AM
This may have been posted before, I couldn't find it here though. This is a great way to look at your favorite lake. Some will not zoom in as close as others though.
After you find your lake be sure and click on the satellite icon in the upper right hand area. Pretty neat stuff.
BIG BROTHER is watching you!!!!

http://maps.google.com/
I heard you, I did EZ1!!!!! yes he is. :mad:

Gar-Getter
04-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Personally, I like this site a little better. It's a bit harder to navigate around, but the images are a ton better quality, and the zoom rate is much higher.

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com

hombru
04-13-2005, 01:46 PM
terraserver is by far the best. Although, sometimes you can run into a housing edition or industrial park where a nice stream used to be. Very disappointing.

EZ1
04-13-2005, 01:56 PM
Yea, If we could combine the best of all of them it would be a heckuva satellite photo. The ease of navigation and color of Google and the zoom and detail of terraserver. One of y'all work on that and let the rest of us know when its done. :D
It is so much easier to navigate in Google. If terraserver could improve just that part it would be good.

bhodges
04-13-2005, 02:02 PM
that's what that USAPhotomaps is. It's a program that downloads the maps from Terraserver on demand. There's a link to it in the other forum here. The cool thing about it is that you can save GPS coordinates and even transfer them back and forth to your GPS.

bhodges
04-13-2005, 02:03 PM
here: http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=3008

CrappieLips
04-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Personally, I like this site a little better. It's a bit harder to navigate around, but the images are a ton better quality, and the zoom rate is much higher.

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com
(Gar-Getter) your right about that site , i like that a whole lot better Thanks for the info if you need any thing just holler i'm just a mouse away LOL. :D

GABoy
04-14-2005, 07:47 AM
I have used them both Terra Server and Google Maps...they each serve a pretty good purpose.....but, Terra Server is pretty awesome.

whizkids
04-14-2005, 08:59 AM
I heard you, I did EZ1!!!!! yes he is. :mad:----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thanks for the link. Now if we can get that satellite in real time I can find where some of you guys are fishing.

Moose1am
04-14-2005, 09:17 AM
Well that reminds of of a guy I worked with once. I am a scientist by schooling and he was a contractor. He used to go around the EPA office saying "Don't Drink the Water" hehe. So that should tell you a bit about him. He carried Lots of 100 dollar bills in his wallet.

Last year on the news I saw where wet land and a stream just two miles from my parents house was being destroyed by a developer. Guess who the developer is? Yep the same guy that once worked for EPA as a CETA employee. CETA was a program that was implemented bacy in the late 1970's for people in need of a job and job training. This guy was running his own company and yet drawing a goverment paycheck. He came to work at my office in the morning and sometimes I would see his face at noon when the guys came back to the office to hang around while the secretaries went out for lunch. Then the guys were gone again and I didn't see them until quitting time. This guy scammed the USEPA out of a federal grant to build a new laboratory in the basement of a old firestation. Trouble is noone thought about the sewers that flood at times of high water on the Ohio River and the basement was subject to flooding by raw sewage and storm water runoff from the city's sewers.

Well this same contrator that scammed the governemnt is now moving a creek so that he can build a new business development park.

He started this project without any permits and many people on the west side of town saw what was going on and starting telephoning the news media and the goverment agencies to find out what was going on. The area has been bulldozed over and there was mud running off the newly exposed land and into carpenter creek. Sediment was building up. Well if you stop the flow of water in carpetnter creek you cause major flooding upstream in new housing developments. So he was ordered to build errosion control fences and to stop development until he got the necessary permits. He had to get permission from the US CORP OF ENGINEERS to move the creek.

I just don't understand why he didn't incorportate the creek in its present position into his plans. He could have make that creek a assest ..

I learned in school that is was not good to channelize creeks. This was thought to speed the flow of wate up but that is not always a good thing. Creeks twist and turn for a reason on lowlands. They do that to slow the water flow down so that the ground water can be recharged. That's natures way and it's the best way. Besides mankind can't hold back nature for very long. If you don't believe me then take a look at the anchient buildings down in Puru and the other South American countries who once had thriving civilizations and are now in ruins or covered with forest and vines. Nature will prevail in the end and always does. Where is the anchient city of Atlantis? It's under the ocean as the sea levels have risen up and covered that old city over as the Glaciers melted after one of the ice ages. Nature will prevail. Where is Pompai? (SP?) It was covered up by ash from a volcano nearby.

There are old city ruins just off the coast of Egypt where those ruins now lie under the sea. And when Mt Saint Helens blew it's top People ran for their lives. Nature prevailed once more. Then there are the natural disasters like the Sunami in Southeast Asia.. Nature always prevails in the end guys and gals. It's much bigger than us. Mother nature that is. The old saying "DON"T FOOL WITH MOTHER NATURE" is something we need to heed. :)

I was taught to go with the flow. We moved the entire Town of ENGLISH, IN after it was flooded once to many time. It was easier to all the homes and buinsess in this small town out of the flood plane than to try to build a level or to protect the town from the annual flooding.

This contractor didn't study environmental sciences or conservation of natural resources. He was clueless and it took the entire west side's population to clue him in to the fact that he was destroying a wetland and endangering peoples homes upstream by his construction project. Reminds me of a old song that said. "They tore up a paridise and put down a parking lot" That is exactly what happened. What was once a woods with a creek running though it is now a paved parking lot with a muddy creek running though it and all the trees are gone now. Just a muddy creek bank with not much brush left to protect the soil from washing away.

terraserver is by far the best. Although, sometimes you can run into a housing edition or industrial park where a nice stream used to be. Very disappointing.