Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Tires

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer Tires

When buying trailer tires for the boat trailer. Should I only look for a trailer tires or will a car tires that size work also? Trailer tires are higher than car tires that size.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not recommended. Use trailer tires and inflated them to max pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tires. Be safe!
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I have used car tires in an emergency and agree that it is not a good idea. It seems that the do not have the sidewall to control sway….. even with the same ply. Car tires are meant to give you comfortable ride and you have 4 of them on the ground, so the have to be a little giving …. Something you do not want in a trailer tire.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer Tires

I got tried of replacing trailer tires, and put the Wal-mart brand tires [douglas ]on and had them balanced, and that solved all my trailer tire problems.
    They have been on my trailer two years, and I put alot of miles on them, and no problems at all.
    I think if you put any tire on your trailer you need two have them balanced. I bought my boat and trailer new, and they do not balance tires on boat trailers, I don't know why, but they don't.
    Don't know about the safty part, but car tires have worked for me very well.

crappie cowboy
    Last edited by crappie cowboy; 04-06-2008 at 08:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would only use trailer tire on a boat trailer that was gonna travel alot. Balancing a trailer doesn`t stop the swaying and bouncing of the trailer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default pay now or pay later

TRailer tires are the only way to go, pau no or pay later.
    Gilby aka Bill :D

Post Thanks / Like

I used cheap car tires on my boat trailer for years with no problem....Had 155/75 R12....Just had to replace them because I over inflated the tires, overloaded the boat (boat blind, decoys, heaters, coolers, etc.), and those two coupled with the slightly bent axle, which I didn't notice until I was on the road, caused a MAJOR catastrophy!! Blew the driver's side tire on I-70 just a few miles from Blue Springs, Mo. on our way to Kansas for a duck hunting trip...Got another replacement at the Wal Mart, but when I tried buying new ones when I got home, I couldn't find any....Ended up getting two brand new 13" rims and tires(6 ply trailer tires) off of Ebay for $135 shipped.......

Post Thanks / Like

I've run car tires on a trailer and never had a problem. If you bought a new bass boat back in the 70's and maybe even the 80's, it probably came from the factory with car tires. If you can find some old issues of Bassmaster magazine, you will see ads for Ranger and other boats sporting the new "wide oval" tires that were popular on muscle cars back then.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy you a good 6-ply trailer tire....you will not be sorry. Car tires will not do well over time on a boat trailer.

Post Thanks / Like

i have had better luck with radial tires--they cost a little more but if your boat is a little on the heavy side they are worth it--especially if you have only one axle.
    Get the net!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast