Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: how far will they travel?

Post Thanks / Like

Default how far will they travel?

the lake i fish in is average of 15-20 ft deep, it was a creek at one time until the corps of engineers built a dam back in the 60's to make yatesville lake. my question is if i am fishing a cove that is 1 mile long will the fish in the head end of that cove travel a mile for summer and winter months or will they find the deepest water in an area? if they travel to deeper water how far will they go? any input will be helpful.
    EAT, SLEEP, FISH AND LOVE THY WIFE

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Look thru this .......

Quote Originally Posted by fish-wva View Post
    the lake i fish in is average of 15-20 ft deep, it was a creek at one time until the corps of engineers built a dam back in the 60's to make yatesville lake. my question is if i am fishing a cove that is 1 mile long will the fish in the head end of that cove travel a mile for summer and winter months or will they find the deepest water in an area? if they travel to deeper water how far will they go? any input will be helpful.
    http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/navigat...h=C101C552C397
    Pay close attention to the maps : location of fish vs water levels & water temps vs weekly updates
    According to the study ... yes they will move, as far as necessary to remain in water that's prime (temp/cover/food/depth). But, it also shows that they will remain in very shallow water, or shallower water than we expect, for a longer period of time than we expect.
    To answer your specific question ... yes, they will/do travel miles to the main lake, during the Summer/Winter periods. BUT, not all of them do, as some may stay in the deeper holes of the creek. It would just depend on the water conditions & available foodsource.

I've experienced similar actions, of the Crappie at Taylorsville Lake ... catch them in 8ft or less during the spawn (late Apr-mid May) ... then continue to catch them in the same depth, well into June. But, those June (post spawn) fish were caught in the early AM hours, around wood, on shaded banks. Once the Sun was shining on the water above them ... they moved out.

... cp