Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Why do some largemouths have red/black eyes and others are just black?

Foxy is offline Moderator Massachusetts Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why do some largemouths have red/black eyes and others are just black?

My brother-in-law says its due to their mood (i.e. an angry bass will have black eyes without visible pupil). Not sure if I believe him. Anyone know the answer?

Post Thanks / Like

depends on what there smoking

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Foxy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    My brother-in-law says its due to their mood (i.e. an angry bass will have black eyes without visible pupil). Not sure if I believe him. Anyone know the answer?
    I don't think fish have such "specific emotions" ... like anger. They're more in the "Fight or Flight" catagory (but, they do seem to exhibit "curiosity"). And I don't think Largemouth have red in their eyes ... but, Smallmouth & KY Spotted Bass do. And yet, I'm not so sure that that's always true, either. LMB eyes, most of the time, best I can remember, seemed to be black pupil with gold shading around them ... whereas, Smallmouth & KY Spots seemed to have black pupils and a red shading around them.
    Good question, and I hope to see some more opinions on this. But, I think I'd have to disagree with what your bro-in-law says. I think he's projecting "human" qualities onto the fish :p

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

i agree with pappy. alot of times peple confuse spotted bass with largemouths and spots tend to have a redish tint to there eyes

Post Thanks / Like

We have a "Red Eye" bass that populates some of our creeks and rivers around here. They seem to prefer running water and very seldom reach much more than 3lb. I think some folks refer to them as "Coosa" bass.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it just has to do with genetics in some cases, different sub-species in others. As a taxidermist, I get to study fish (all animals) eyes and many photos show that some fish just have a slightly different coloration, just like eye or hair color in humans. Because of this I've started trying to paint my own eyes from flints rather than having to settle for the factory eyes that are just somebody's idea of how they should look. I guess there's not really a right or wrong answer to the question. Since it's coming from a brother-in-law I would give him some grief over it anyway.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by willsjwills View Post
    We have a "Red Eye" bass that populates some of our creeks and rivers around here. They seem to prefer running water and very seldom reach much more than 3lb. I think some folks refer to them as "Coosa" bass.
    Yeah I always heard them called gypsy bass also. They live mosty is creeks or small rivers and don't get reallly big