PDA

View Full Version : Need Headlights for my boat?

TomC
04-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Other than using a handheld q-beam are there any good lights that can be mounted on the front of my triton 190fs to help me navigate at night. I'd love to be able to see where I'm actually going at night? I've heard Golight makes some good lights but any input would be appreciated! Got the urge to start doing a little night fishing and my comfort level on the lake at night aint exactly stellar.

Tom

GABoy
04-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Hey Tom -

What about getting some sort of a small adjustable clamp and buying two of those 3 million candle Q-beams for $ 25 each.....adjust them to where you want them and plug them in....not to mention you can always take them off when you aren't night fishing and you won't have them in your way.

You can buy a set of clips that you connect to your battery and converts it into a cigarette lighter outlet, which you can then plug your Q-beam into....i don't think there is a better set of lights than a 3 million candle floodlight...hee hee.....and you can alway loosen the clamp and take it out if you have a need to look around with it....the only thing you will have to figure out is the right type of clamp to mount in the boat, which should be too difficult. Just a suggestion.

Other than using a handheld q-beam are there any good lights that can be mounted on the front of my triton 190fs to help me navigate at night. I'd love to be able to see where I'm actually going at night? I've heard Golight makes some good lights but any input would be appreciated! Got the urge to start doing a little night fishing and my comfort level on the lake at night aint exactly stellar.

Tom

Big Zig
04-12-2005, 02:23 PM
Got the urge to start doing a little night fishing and my comfort level on the lake at night aint exactly stellar.

Adding "driving lights" may make things worse for you. How well do you know the body of water in the daytime?
GPS or a compass are other options.

Barnacle Bill
04-12-2005, 02:36 PM
How about a pair of those hologen driving lights from you local auto parts store or even Wally world? They can be mounted and give off a lot of light. Plus they are water proof.

TomC
04-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Thanks and I think I'll look into figuring out some way to rig a high powered q-beam on some sort of a mount as I have a 12volt outlet in my console? I've got a good sonar/gps unit in my console and I'm not looking to go flying around the lake after dark and as a matter of fact I'm really not looking go much above idle speed.......I just want to be able to see whats in front of me and more importantly that someone else coming my way sees me. On a good moonlit night its fairly easy to ease you way around but on a dark cloud covered night its a little bit of a different story. My dealer is insalling a blinker trim switch and hot foot on friday so I'll see if he has any ideas on how best to mount a qbeam. Thanks!

Tom

Crapbie
04-12-2005, 02:48 PM
Check out basspro and cabelas. Many remote controlled lights built specific for your kind of application. I'd rather buy something I know is ment for the boat to do what I want. If you want a mounted light I would not get a hand held unless it comes with a very very good clip unless you want it flying overboard one night.

Moose1am
04-12-2005, 02:51 PM
How about getting some of those 12 volt spotlights and run them off a battery. They should not use so many watts and they may last longer than those 3 million candle power spot lights. Might get one of them bright spot lights and shine it way up ahead where the 12 volt lights don't reach. But you only really need to see so far out in front unless you want to get your bearing from things on the shore miles away. Usually on a lot of lakes there are corp lights along the shoreline or TV or Radio Towers.

And someone else mentioned using GPS to navigate the water at night. That works but it WILL NOT show you a boat that is parked out on the water or any logs floating along the river.

Thanks and I think I'll look into figuring out some way to rig a high powered q-beam on some sort of a mount as I have a 12volt outlet in my console? I've got a good sonar/gps unit in my console and I'm not looking to go flying around the lake after dark and as a matter of fact I'm really not looking go much above idle speed.......I just want to be able to see whats in front of me and more importantly that someone else coming my way sees me. On a good moonlit night its fairly easy to ease you way around but on a dark cloud covered night its a little bit of a different story. My dealer is insalling a blinker trim switch and hot foot on friday so I'll see if he has any ideas on how best to mount a qbeam. Thanks!

Tom

fiddlefarter
04-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Stan Sloans Zorro lights are what I have on the front of my rig. They're bright as hell, but if there is a slight fog on the water them and any lights are useless. Sometimes it's even better to flip off the main boat lights although I don't advocate running far in all black.
here's a link
http://stansloanzorrobaitco.com/headlights.php

The lights are very good for locating bouys so you don't hit them. I knew a guy that threw his son into the front of the boat which knocked out his teeth and broke his jaw by hitting a big 'ol green bouy. I usually just run. Slow, WAO, it don't matter I know where I am and where I'm going most times. I used to fish tournaments with a guy that had a Stratos 201 with a 225ho we would hit 70+ on the money run at the end of the night sometimes and he was blind as a bat. He would stare at the GPS screen and tell me to look for any thing floating (boat, bouy, oak tree, telephone pole, hay bale. etc.) And I've seen all those floating after a good rain. We about hit the telephone pole long ways one night. That woulda left a mark.
Those are good lights tho. And I think the new ones may be a little smaller than mine.
Heres a pic of mine mounted. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/fiddlefarter07/100_0243.jpg

unknown 5
04-12-2005, 06:34 PM
I love to night fish. In the winter I am a coonhunter and when I fish at night in the summer, I use my coonhunting light which straps on my side and has the head mounted on my cap. So, everywhere I look, there is light. I can turn it on high beam and it is brighter than a car headlight and will light up everything in front of you for a long ways. I put it on low and have a red lens cap to keep the bugs away in the summer and see everything in the boat. I paid over $300 for my coonhunting light but you can buy an adequate light and head at www.huntsmart.com for around $100. I personally wouldn't use anything else. They are rechargable and there are 100 uses besides hunting and fishing.

TomC
04-12-2005, 07:01 PM
thanks again and I've got some good options to consider. Fiddlefarter I know it wasnt meant to be funny but I just laughed my arse off reading your post about you and your buddy. I could just envision the two of you flying down the lake at night with your hand trying to block the wind from your eyes looking for obstacles while your buddies face was glued to the gps since he was blind as a bat anyway. Oh that was a good laugh!

Tom

fiddlefarter
04-12-2005, 08:48 PM
I always wear safety glasses or ski goggles to keep bugs out of my eyes when I'm riding at night. Plus I wear contacts and the wind makes them want to come out. I reckon it would look funny, but I never was very amused. I thought that loser should get some dang glasses before he got us both killed. In the same situation now I would probably not do that. He has since gotten glasses but I don't fish with him much anymore. Dude only knows two speeds, stop and wide a$$ open. He bout threw me out in the canal between KY lake and Lake Barkley once. I guess thats why I enjoy crappie fishing, I ain't got to get in such a dag blame hurry everywhere I go. If someone wants to get to a spot before me I don't give a hoot. I just go elsewhere. Plus I would say the average crappie rig has about a 50hp motor. If they know where I'm going and they try to beat me I can run her on up to about 65, but why? With fuel prices I only run it hard maybe once a week to "blow" it out.

ribit
04-12-2005, 08:51 PM
I fish a little at night and sometimes ride with a guy that knows the lake and runs wide open. He knows the cut at Spencer Creek and goes through it at full seed ahead. Old hickory Lake Tn. we ran through a heard of coots and it scared the sheet out of me. What is the saying, Get in, Sit down, Shut up, Hold on well I nerved out and started swiming until I got my own boat. Now my pace is lot slower but not as scarey. lol

TAE73
04-12-2005, 08:57 PM
I am glad that Missouri has speed laws on its major lakes at night. Even thought I dont think water patrol is ever out there to enforce them. I have seen (heard them through the fog flyin) guys runnin 60mph pea soup fog. Using the gps as a guide, that works well but doesnt show another boat infront of you.

Moose1am
04-14-2005, 09:59 AM
My Neighbor is a reserve Sheriff Deputy and he goes out at night on patrol a few nights a week. He is a volunteer right now and gets paid when he works in the office but not out on the street. This helps the country enforce the law at a lower cost. He has a degee in Criminilogy and has law enforcement experience from previous jobs working security with a HUD organization.

He told me that they use night vision goggles while out on patrol at night. They can run down the highway without any lights on the cruser and still see where they are going. They can sit in the dark an obesrve large areas of the contry from high up on some of the hills around here.

I suspect that the different state DRN enforcement officers may well employ the same night tactics using night vision goggles.

I would love to have a pair of those baby's to go out and observer things at night. They would be great for hunting varmits and observing animals at night. They would be too cumperson for fishing but when just sitting in a car or in a chair next to the car they would be workable.

They sell some of the less expensive first generation night vision things at the local Wal-mart. But the third generation goggles used by the Military are much better nowdays. That is what law enforcement uses from what I hear.

Now imagine running down the lake at night using you GPS and the digital lake maps to show you the depths and then having a pair of third generation night vision goggles on to help you see with a full moon out. LOL now that would cool. Just make sure that no one else is out on the lake running at high speed as they may still not see you or you may not see them as your periferal vision is obscured when wearing those night vision goggles.

I am glad that Missouri has speed laws on its major lakes at night. Even thought I dont think water patrol is ever out there to enforce them. I have seen (heard them through the fog flyin) guys runnin 60mph pea soup fog. Using the gps as a guide, that works well but doesnt show another boat infront of you.

CrappiePappy
04-14-2005, 03:10 PM
some states have laws against using spotlights, docking lights, or any other "white" light (for the purpose of navigation at night)... on the front of the boat.
KY law says you can't use them ... The KDFWR says it blocks an approaching vessel's sight of your nav lights (red/green front lights), and/or may blind an oncoming vessel's operator. Intermittent use of a spotlight (mounted or handheld) is allowable ... but, you must be able to turn them off, in the event of an approaching vessel (without turning off your nav/stern lights).

Just some FYI to consider ......... luck2ya ........cp :cool:

fiddlefarter
04-14-2005, 09:52 PM
Ribit OH is where a lot of my exciting experiences happened. Never much good debris floating at Percy Priest to boost the adrenaline

FalconSmitty
04-15-2005, 02:02 AM
Whatever kind of light you choose make sure to mount them under your line of site, under the bow. If you have them above the boat the reflection off of anything in the front will kinda blind you. The marine patrol use this type of lighting in Alabama. Most of the pontoon boats That cruise the lake at night have them mounted under the front. The kind of lights on a trucks roll bar work great.