Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing in the wind

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing in the wind

Anyone have any good boat tips for fishing in this wind. It seems that the wind just will not die down and I hate spinning or getting pushed around in the boat.
    Start posting threads people.......its FREE!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmbutler47
    Anyone have any good boat tips for fishing in this wind. It seems that the wind just will not die down and I hate spinning or getting pushed around in the boat.
    Start posting threads people.......its FREE!!!

Go with the wind to your back and let it push you whatever direction it is going......just use your trolling motor to correct your angle if you need to .......get a good distance up the lake to where you want to troll and the wind will push you. Saves a lot of battery power....not to mention the fish will be looking for the bait in the direction that the wind is blowing.

If the wind blows you too hard in that direction, you might need to invest in a windsock to slow you down when the wind blows....but, you can't fight the wind....it will drain you battery in a short amount of time for sure......
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

I have read on the main forum and some articles in some online mags that the more weight you have in the front of the boat the less the boat will bounce. As far as not getting blown arround the lake you are either going to have to get a stronger trolling motor or find you a wind break.
    Butler have you looked into fishing Peckerwood yet? I forgot to tell you in a earlier post that you do have to pay like 2 bucks a head to fish there. I also recently heard that the AGFC has been hitting the yo yo fisherman hard for having to many out and for having them out and being out of sight or sound of them so that should help the fishing. Some of those dudes had out literally hundereds of yo yos.
    What kind of boat are you fishing out of?

Post Thanks / Like

I have responded to Peckerwood in the other Thread. I have been thinking about using yo yos lately myself. That sounds like a good topic for a new Thread...
    I use a 14' Flat bottom Jon Boat. I have a nice size trolling motor. That is all I use.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can stand it fish a cove where the wind is blowing in and tie off somewhere or anchor. Cast jigs into the wind or through floats with minnows up wind and let them drift back. This method works well on Beaver Lake. I usualy go towards the back of the cove and try to find a break in the shore line or a channel drop off.
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gooch
    I have read on the main forum and some articles in some online mags that the more weight you have in the front of the boat the less the boat will bounce. As far as not getting blown arround the lake you are either going to have to get a stronger trolling motor or find you a wind break.
    Butler have you looked into fishing Peckerwood yet? I forgot to tell you in a earlier post that you do have to pay like 2 bucks a head to fish there. I also recently heard that the AGFC has been hitting the yo yo fisherman hard for having to many out and for having them out and being out of sight or sound of them so that should help the fishing. Some of those dudes had out literally hundereds of yo yos.
    What kind of boat are you fishing out of?
    where are you getting on peckerwood for 2 bucks a head?

Post Thanks / Like

Two bucks five bucks I dont know. I do know it cost me 20+ in gas so the cost to launch is as trivial as the cost of minnows. I do know the guys I go with put in on the east side of the lake. I never drive the boat down to the lake so I dont usualy get stuck with paying.
    Why how much do youu pay?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gooch
    Two bucks five bucks I dont know. I do know it cost me 20+ in gas so the cost to launch is as trivial as the cost of minnows. I do know the guys I go with put in on the east side of the lake. I never drive the boat down to the lake so I dont usualy get stuck with paying.
    Why how much do youu pay?
    guys, i jig fish peckerwood weekly, i launch at red barn landing, it is 5 dollars a person for how ever many is in the boat. but to me the cost is minimul for the quality fish i catch there!!!!!