Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advertising in your Signature - out of hand

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advertising in your Signature - out of hand

Everyone including multiple links to all sorts of websites, including pricing information, and other promotional details in their SIGNATUREs has gotten completely out of hand.

You have to understand, I own the site, and yes I advertise on it, but it's what supports the ongoing costs of running the website. On top of the fact I have not gotten a dime from any sponsors for 2008 because I'm waiting for the new site design to take hold.

So this is what I'm thinking, I can get completely rid of signatures altogether, or I can ask that everyone remove blatant advertising. Maybe I remove the ability to insert HTML in the signature. Or does someone have a better idea.

Help.

Another thought is, maybe if you support the website via the business directory:
    http://crappie.com/crappiedirectory/index.php
    Then I add a link for you in your signature.

I guess this is a lot of "thinking out loud", but I am looking for ideas and suggestions, which would be best for the site.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    or I can ask that everyone remove blatant advertising.
    This would be my choice. "Blatant" is in the eye of the beholder, but I would classify BIG pictures as blatant. When I say BIG, I mean a pic that dominates the whole post. I don't see a problem with having a link to ONE website, though.

I would also like to see less blatant advertising in the threads themselves. We regularly get topics that are nothing more than product pitches.
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 04-01-2008 at 09:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally...I think some people only post on here to sell stuff...I mean good grief, once in awhile tell us something about a lake or a technique.....my 2 cents.
    Duane

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ed,

You asked for opinions. I'm a woman. You gotta bite! Here's mine.

Crappie.com has been a wonderful site where folks from all different styles and types of fishing come to enjoy each others tips, knowledge and comraderie. We have made many friends here, and many more to be made.
    All that said, it has grown a LOT.
    I don't believe it is asking too much for those that wish to advertise to support financially the site they are using to do it.
    Perhaps a flat fee for a signature with a link to thier wares, add some to include a small picture in the sig. line.
    Or they can pay a small fee and have it in the business directory AND a link in thier sig. line.
    Nope...ain't asking too much. MHO.

Thanks for all you do!
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

Slab, Your the boss as far as I'm concerned. If you want advertising removed from sig lines I'm for it. Just let me know. btw thanks for the forum and the time you spend making it great.

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

I agree...limit the size or turn them off.
    I think I got one...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anchorpuller View Post
    Ed,

I don't believe it is asking too much for those that wish to advertise to support financially the site they are using to do it.
    Perhaps a flat fee for a signature with a link to thier wares, add some to include a small picture in the sig. line.
    Or they can pay a small fee and have it in the business directory AND a link in thier sig. line.

Not a bad idea
    TinBoats.net
    The original aluminum boat fishing club!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ed:

It's your site so do what you think is right. I think it's only fair to require businesses to contribute by signing up for the Business Directory before being allowed to post links to their web sites in their signatures. I don't really see the need for posting pictures in signatures at all. There's already the option of using a picture or logo in one's Avatar and if links are allowed in signatures then anyone interested can click on the link if they want to see pictures or get more information.

I also think it would be reasonable to ban blatant advertising from anyone that doesn't offer any significant support or helpful information to the site.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anchorpuller View Post
    Ed,

You asked for opinions. I'm a woman. You gotta bite! Here's mine.

Crappie.com has been a wonderful site where folks from all different styles and types of fishing come to enjoy each others tips, knowledge and comraderie. We have made many friends here, and many more to be made.
    All that said, it has grown a LOT.
    Nope...ain't asking too much. MHO.

Thanks for all you do!
    i agree 100% but i hate to say only thing is there is 1 or 2 people and im not gonna say any name but they do sponsor on other sites and i know some of these sites users stop going to cause it gets overwhelming.. i do not know if he sponsors this site but even if he does people like him should turn it down a notch.. its not just the advertising in the sigs that is getting out of control its the blatant advertising in multiple threads mentioning the same product over and over..im all for people making a buck but free advertising should stop. if they want to advertise charge them a flat fee per month then anything extra if there hawking there product blatantly in threads over and over
    Last edited by john h; 04-01-2008 at 10:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, If I owned this site I would make the seller's pay you a monthly fee for having their business in their signature. Also maybe make a seperate place for all the seller's to post their businesses on here instead of them spamming it all over the place.
    1995 Skeeter ss90, Force 90hp, Motorguide Pro Series 5200, Lowrance 520c, Humminbird 565, Hi-Tek Rod Holders
    www.myspace.com/daltreypark

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast