Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trailer Brake question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer Brake question

New Trailer will have Disc brakes on it. And need to know what everyone did to there plugs? As it has to have the Back up lights hooked up to allow you to back up.
    On my 2004 Chevy 2500-HD it has the big round plug on the back . And the center is backup lights. I hope theres a plug that will fit in it like the one that came with the truck. That will have the 5 flat plug on it?
    Other truck is a 2006 Ford 1/2 ton. it has the standard 4 flat plug on it.
    So the ones out there that has Disc trailer brakes, What did you do?
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

You can either buy a plug in conversion,(4 Flat to back of 5 round) or like my old ranger bassboat, there was a small clip running from the brakes on the trailer,from the reverse lights on the truck that would allow them to disengage. Either way, both systems should be readily available. Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

its a dealer item they will have what you need. john

Yadkin Guide is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need an adapter

If your rear light connection is active then all you need is an adapter. You can get them at Wal-Mart or many other places. It consists of a round slug that has a 5 way flat plug on it. You simply insert it into your present outlet. If your outlet is not activated then you should have a wire or type of adapter that will go under the hood of your truck to do this. If you do not have this then go to a dealer and they will get you one. You will still have to have the adapter from Wal-Mart or a car parts dealer. They will know what you need. If you have trailer brakes you will need a five wire outlet not a four.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys Did a search and find the adapter for the Chevy its easy. But the ford only has the standard 4 flat. So looks like I will have to run a extra wire for the back up lights on it.
    Thanks again.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I pulled a boat with brakes with a Ford. You can get a 5-prong flat adapter at Walmart.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rockmike View Post
    I pulled a boat with brakes with a Ford. You can get a 5-prong flat adapter at Walmart.
    Thanks mike. But the plug on the Truck does not have but a 4 flat plug and does not have the backup light on it.
    Did you have to hook up a extra wire to the back up lights to work on it?
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Autozone or NAPA should have a conversion plug to 4 or 5 from the 6 pin etc. Ive got one that adapts 3 different ways.