Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think is the very best way.

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you think is the very best way.

I have done a lot of reading telling the best thing to do with your fish once you get it out of the water. Some say a stringer is fine, I prefer not to use that method If I dont have to, but thats just me. I have never tried a basket but I have heard good things about them. Some people say put them straight on the ice, some say kill them before they go on the ice some say bleed em before they go on the ice, I have always just put them on the ice alive. I know some say fillet them right on the spot is sometimes best but that just isint always an option for me as I dont get a lot of time to fish usually so when im fishing Im fishing only. Just thought I would get your opnions cause I always want my fish to taste there best as does everyone. and how bout soaking them etc. any thoughts.- Joel

Post Thanks / Like

well in a perfect world best thing would be to catch em anf throw them straight in the grease, livewell would be second...actually killing them and putting on ice would be third cause a stringer or basket does cause the fish to get agitated thus building lactic acid in there muscle but only a culinary freak could tell this

Post Thanks / Like

I have always kept my fish in either a 5 gallon bucket or a basket from the bank. I use the livewells when I am in the boat. I wait till I get home unless there is a fish cleaning station around the lake, then I will clean them there. When I soak my fish....I first rinse them as thoroughly as possible - I put just enough water on the fish to cover them and a couple tablespoons of salt and a teasoon of white vinegar. I usually try to eat my fish within a few days. Fish DO TASTE BETTER the fresher they are. If I don't eat them after a few days I lay them on paper towel to drain excess water and vacuum pack them for the freezer. Fish that have been in the freezer DO NOT TASTE AS GOOD AS FRESH FISH. Many will argue this, but it's a fact.
    Caught so many fish today my thumb is sore from clicking the counter.

Post Thanks / Like

Throw 'em directly on ice. I don't have time to be killin' or bleeding fish. They may not die immediately, but their metabolic rate slows down enough that the flavor is not affected like it is when you leave them in a live well.

Post Thanks / Like

My taste buds aren't sophisticated enough to tell the diff between stressed fish and non-stressed fish so if its not really hot temps outside I'll put them in the livewell..if its hot...ice it is..live !
    Duane

Backwaters of Grenada Lake, Yalobusha Bottom
    Post Thanks / Like

I put them on ice, and they taste purty good to me.
    Wishin' I Was Fishin'

Post Thanks / Like

i agree with matt smith and whitecap. i have a freez bag from sam's club i use. i take 2 emty 2ltr bottles from coke or something and fill them up with water and freez them, when i go to the lake i take the bag with me and put my fish into the bag. when i get home clean em and eat em. even fishing all day, the bottles have always had ice in them, they have never melted all the way
    EAT, SLEEP, FISH AND LOVE THY WIFE

Post Thanks / Like

I put them in the livewell till I get 'em home. Always used a basket from the bank. I've never noticed any bad flavor caused by lactic acid or whatever. Or maybe I've never had any "acid free". All I know is once they come out of Lake Crisco, they taste good to me. Little cajun seasoning, light breading plus hot grease.....tough to beat.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks boys, Thats pretty much where I have been with the whole thing I just wanted to hear it from the pros. Thanks again.- Joel

Post Thanks / Like

I think ya'll are all full of hooey. I can tell the difference all day long on how the fish are handled. Yes sir, there's only one way to settle this once and for all.

Here are ya'lls assignments: Each of you bring 2 pounds of fish cared for in your respective way that you think is best - Ice, livewell, bag with 2 liter bottles, frozen in water or vacuum packed dry.

We'll meet up at my house Monday night at 6PM and Whitecap will cook them all. I'll sample a generous portion from each batch and I'll be able to tell you on the spot exactly how it was handled and probably which lake and depth it came from as well as the ph of the water. And if I'm even wrong one time, I'll say I'm sorry.

There, the gauntlet is thrown down. Now who's gonna cowboy up?

Wannabe...

Pretty much a livewell deal or ice for me. I can't taste the difference myself.
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast