Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bunk Board Tips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bunk Board Tips

Hey all I am need of replacing my bunk boards on my trailer. I checked into buying them, but the shipping is way too expensive, so I will just do it myself as it should be pretty simple. The only thing that concerns me is putting the carpeting on and making sure I get a good adhesive etc...Does anyone have any recommendations etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Chad i just put new boards on my trailer last night. Go to a lumber yard and get some cca 2 x 4. Should be around .59c per foot. Buy some spray on glue and staples. Lay the 2 x 4 on the ground and spay your carpet with the spray on glue. After that staple the carpet on. Then drill your holes for the Lag Screw.

Post Thanks / Like

Chadku, here is something to think about. Does your boat trailer have 2 x 4, or 2 x 6 boards with the carpet covered? Also, does these bunk boards curve in the middle, like the contour of the boat. If so, you will need to buy the cca treated, and remove the boat from the trailer, and remove one bunk at a time. Take the old bunk board and make the replacement same as the old---such as where the bolts holes are. Now, you bolt the new bunk board to the trailer (without the carpet attached), to shape the board to the contour of the boat. You will probably need to use some "c clamps" in doing this. Now you can tack the carpet to the bunk boards. All this is you have the bunk that are curved.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys...The bunk boards are not curved....Simple 8'6" 2x4's. I think it should be pretty simple...About this spray on glue...where do you get that...Can you get it at Home Depot? I am going to order the carpet and possibly the glue from West Marine but its like $25 for the Glue and $50 for the carpet. Only place I can seem to get it in this week so I can hit the lake Saturday. Its sorta ridiculous as it looks like it will cost me $100 to do this. Bass Pro has 6' boards that are carpeted and ready to go on but the longest they make is 6's for $50...

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought 12 in wide x 12 feet long carpet from cabelas today for $18.00 hope to get both sides done with one piece of carpet.Got to get some glue & cca boards then ready to go. Jim C.

Post Thanks / Like

Default For what it is worth...

I have done this several times on different trailers and have always gone to a carpet store here in Iola and picked up some carpet glue and apply it to both the wood and carpet. Never have used staples but I suppose it wouldn't hurt. I have always used treated lumber and make sure you draw the carpet down tight. Don't really want to saturate the glue on either surface but apply it moderately. The glue I get comes in pints and have found it to be useful for other things too.
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips guys...I did order the carpet from Cabelas this morning and had to have it overnighted to insure it will arrive for me to do this week, so I can get out this weekend. The temps look to make for a great day on the water Sat or Sun. Hopefully the wind will stay down too!