Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rango....about driftin...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rango....about driftin...

As I understand it you are puttin a driftsock on each end of the beast which causes her to turn side ways to the wind. Then you have the full length of the beast to run the 20-30 rods ya usually have out.. You use 3/4 oz weight to keep the bait just off the bottom. What size line do you use and how far behind the weight do you run the bait? Any other tips? I'm serious thinkin about givin this method a try. I was real happy when I saw you were sharin some tips on a method that doesn't require settin 2 anchors, that is 'til I saw the part about 2 driftsocks. Dealin with them must be about as much fun as gettin your kneecap drilled.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drift Socks

Kunes,
    I recently read an article where the guy mounted his trolling motor in the middle of his boat. He would let the wind push him along side ways and used his trolling motor as a brake. (Kept on slow against the wind)
    This may be a little more fun or easier than drift socks and getting the knee cap drilled (Which I recently had done)
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

kunes, ill run about 6 to eight rods off the upwind side with a 3/4 oz lead. I use the same rods i troll with(7 ft medium action ugly sticks) or the 9 ft crapie rods i night fish with and all of em is loaded with 6 lb line. Ive been thinking about the trolling motor thing, as ive seen em do it on tv, however, without drift socks on my boat, for some strange reason, the boat wants to drift quartering the wind which dont suit me. I guess im on the lazy side, as when i drop the socks over the side, the wind will push me from point a to point b and i dont have to worry about boat speed or quarting into the wind. socks are pretty easy to deploy and no trouble to take in as they collapse when you pull the take in rope. we drifted the channels this past winter and done real good at it. Im looking foward to doin it again this winter as i like cold weather fishing more than hot weather. I have a hand control trollin motor i may use this winter to see if it makes drifting more efficent.
    once we start a drift, we drop the baits over the side till they hit the bottom, trip the bail and let em drift along just off the bottom. they arent out far at all, you can tell they arent actually hittin the bottom, cause they run smooth, and that makes it easier to see the hits. if you lift a rod out of the holder and drop the tip a bit, you will contact the bottom, and the lead bumping along on the bottom makes the tip bounce up and down so the hits arent so easy to pick up on.. again, the bite will be light, and watching the rod tips is important. most hits you get will be just a small tap, with very few hits pulling the tips over in a hard hit. its important the leads are close to but not acutally bumping along on the bottom.
    we was using a minnow and a jig per rod, but found most of the hits was coming on minnows so we quit using jigs and stuck with one minnow to a line. the rods was rigged with a swivel at the end of the line, which we hooked the weight to. the snap swivel also made it easier to put the rods up when we finished fishing. a couple ft up from the lead was the hook on a drop line., so i figger if the weights was about a ft off the bottom on the drift, and then the hook a couple ft up the line from the weight the minnows was drifting about three ft off the bottom, just about right for any bottome huggin fish to come up to, as crappie feet up and not down. as long as the bait is above them, theyll come to it, but i dont think they will feed down to one.
    the socks can be aggravating at times, but ive never had to get on my knees settin them. ill throw one off the back and one off the front without abusing my knees. anyway you go about fishing for em is gonna be work. i think youll like flatline trolling for them to, and well do some of that when the weather gets right.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses. I can't see myself gettin warm with that trollin motor method. First, I don't have a trollin motor. Second, it seems to me that you'd spend alot of time messin with it to get where ya wanna go while the wind just takes ya where its goin and that's a lot nicer ride. Third, with the bimini top brackets and rod holders etc there is no place to mount a trollin motor in the middle of my boat. On the other hand, I don't have any windsocks either. Driftin with the windsocks seems more in keepin with the nightfishin philosphy of gettin everything set up and then lettin nature take its course. I got a good idea of where to start now and I'll post how it goes.
    One taste of the bait

Post Thanks / Like

i have a pretty wide rail on my boat, but i think i can still get the trolling motor clamps over it. if i can im gonna give the troller a try to one day to see how i like it. it might just be the ticket to a cooler full.. If you wanna borrow my socks to try em and see how you like doiing it before you invest you are welcom to do so. ask me for em next time we hook up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    i have a pretty wide rail on my boat, but i think i can still get the trolling motor clamps over it. if i can im gonna give the troller a try to one day to see how i like it. it might just be the ticket to a cooler full.. If you wanna borrow my socks to try em and see how you like doiing it before you invest you are welcom to do so. ask me for em next time we hook up.
    Thanks for the offer Robert. I think I'll take ya up on it. I had about a dz minnows left (from last Sun BTW) so I went out about 7am today. I got set up where the wind was blowin the same direction as the main channel ran. Managed to have a nice drift for an hour 'til the channel turned and the wind blew me out of it. I tied a 5 gal bucket off the back but it didn't seem to slow me down much. I'm sure the driftsocks have a bigger diameter. I only ran 2 rods but the 3/4 oz sinkers kept em down just off the bottom cause the wind was lite. I did not catch anything. For one thing I have all my rods Carolina rigged with egg sinkers above snap swivels. I only used the short leaders I use for nitefishin and that made the bait run pretty close to the weight. If I do it again I'll tie longer leaders. Every time I checked the minnows they were dead. I don't know if bringing them up from so far down kills em or if they die as soon as they get to a certain depth. Was fishin 50' down.
    One taste of the bait

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, I'm Ms. Catfish and this is my first post. I plan to be in Gaston County this week and am looking for some good places to fish on the NC side of Lake Wylie. I'm a shore fisherlady, not fortunate enough to have a boat. Any likely spots you all can recommend? Crappie, white bass, white perch, bass, even bigger cats'll work. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Ms Catfish, you can try over at mcdowell park, at the copperhead acess. its on the nc side and they have piers there you can fish off of. go across the buster boyd bridge towards lake wylie, go to the first red light take a left and follow the signs. they are maked copperhead acess or mcdowell acess, cant remmer. theres not very many areas thats got good acess to the bankfishermen on wylie.

Post Thanks / Like

be prepared to fish for catfish, brim or bass there. not sure if the crappie would be in there or not this time of year

Post Thanks / Like

gary, those drift socks are a lot bigger than the bucket and they will slow your boat down to where the baits will stay just above the bottom with a 3/4 oz sinker. if your lead was above the hook and the hook was just off the bottom you may have been below any crappie holding close to the bottom. try a weight at the end of the line with a dropper line about two ft above the weight,, that should get your bait about three ft off the bottom... see what that does for you. remember crappie feed up...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast