Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shenango - Friday April 15

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shenango - Friday April 15

Would like to fish Shenango on Friday, April 15 -- however, due to gas costs (I am about 70 miles away) I would like any information about chance of catching some crappies--have fished this lake a number of times so I don't need any "secret" spots -- just the clarity of water and how the bite is. Also is Golden Run Open for launch.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Fishman (Kittanning Pennsylvania)

Post Thanks / Like

Fishman, here is the phone # for the Corps of Engineers office, 724-962-4384 you will get fishing conditions and lake levels for that day. Harry's Bait Shop # is 724-962-1504 he is one mile from Golden Run Launch on Rt. 258. Hay if we don't get rain , which last night on Pittsburgh channel with said no rain till April 18. So go four it. I live in Brookville, which is 85 miles away I'll go every chance I get , even if gas sets to $3.00 a gallon Iam going . I'll just give something else up , but fishing I'll die first!
    Going to Wilhelm on Wed. or Thur. of this week . Then Sat. I'll hit Shenango , Might need someone to hold down the front seat of the boat! Zimmy

Big_pa_guy Guest

Fishman,
    I fished from shore at the celery farm early Saturday morning with no luck. The report I got says fishing is better in the afternoons after the water warms a bit. You can check some of the other threads also... some fish are being caught a little deeper yet.

Hope that helps, and good luck to ya!

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking forward to heading up too. I now live in Pittsburgh and make the trip everytime I can. I am wondering if it makes sense to try yet or maybe trout fish for one more weekend. I don't have a boat so I may need to wait.

Big_pa_guy Guest

Fished Saturday 4-16 from 3:30 to 6:30 at the celery farm from shore. Landed 2 nice striped bass, a handful of small perch, and a big carp, all on minnows 18 to 36 inches under a bobber. Saw a 22" northern caught from a boat less than 30 yards from where we were fishing, so maybe the big perdator had the smaller fish shut down.

A buddy of mine was going to fish the lake today from a boat, so I will report later this evening.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished from shore last night at the old tent city from 6:20-9:30. Used a small chart. and red jig tipped with a minnow about 2.5 feet under a bobber. (from shore) Caught a total of about 15 or so but only 4 were big enough to keep. The fish are in there just have to wait them out. From the causeway, golden run looked packed. Saw some boats out but I'm sure there were more. Good luck and I hope to get out this weekend.

REDNECK

P.S. To you trout guys, they are supposed to stock the shenango river (in sharpsville) with trout i believe today or tomorrow. The fishing was good there saturday, alot of nice trout left in there still.

chaunc is online now 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anybody fished shenango lake or river in the last few days? Just wondering if this cold spell killed the bite. I hope to do some trout fishing after work sometime this week. Might even try shore fishing for some crappies too.

Post Thanks / Like

chaunc, I got 5 nice rainbows at the river thursday afternoon, on minnies. They are hittin pretty good but you need a stinger hook. Put a size 10 hook on and then put on a size 14 or 16 treble hook on. Pinch the eye of the treble slightly, then hook the minnow through the lips on the size 10 hook. Someone got a nice walleye there (definatly legal) and a couple small pike. The perch are hittin down there by the rocks on small minnies but I have not fished for them there yet. I am off tuesday, so if you want to go then I'll see what I can do and maybe we can meet then? Anyway, good fishin and hear from ya soon.

REDNECK

chaunc is online now 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't get off work till after 3pm but i planned on going tuesday anyway for at least a couple hrs. I hope this weather doesn't raise the river level to high. Where are you parking/ fishing. I always start down at the double bridges by the island and if i dont do good there, down by the tressell. Wont have a lot of time to fish so any help finding a starting spot is appreciated. Smitty

Post Thanks / Like

I start at the wall (tailrace.) When you go down the road to get to the tailrace, the ground to the right of the road becomes rocky. I start in the middle of the river where that big pipe sticks out. From there down to the first island. There aren't any deep spots there, just some areas where the bottom changes, (I call them pot holes) that kind of deflect the current. Where I always catch fish, the water isn't any deeper than your waste. Haven't done good there yet this year on mealworms, but last year in may, thats all they would hit, but they still hit a minnie.

REDNECK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast