Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer

I need to replace my bunk boards on my trailer, and i'm wondering if anyone has tried the bunk baords that you can get from Bass Pro that is made of out steel and has rollers on it ?
    I don't know if i want to put 2 x 4 on it or what.

Post Thanks / Like

If if was me I would go back with CCA treated wood. I know some people like the rollers but you have to be careful with them when unloading as the boat comes off the trailer very easy and can come off on the ramp when you are not ready. I was also told the boat moves around some on the trailer when the rollers are wet. I was told they will leave marks on the boat if you have a glass boat. Lastly and maybe most important was that the pressure points on the boat change with the rollers and the hull could be damaged while being trailered again I think this was on a glass boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced mine with the new treated lumber, and put the carpet on myself no problems, and they look pretty good,,, go for it

Post Thanks / Like

With the steep launches around here you would need to have someone with you to hook or un hook your boat so it dosen't roll of the trailer before you want it to. I would stick to the carpeted bunk. jmo

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Beagle Man how did you secure the carpet to the 2 by 4s. Did you use any glue on the back then screws. I need to replace mine soon. Jim C.

Post Thanks / Like

I just replaced my bunk boards with cca with no problem. Rollers might be good but I didn't want it to unload before I'm ready. I saw a boat slide off a trailer onto the ramp once. Not a pretty picture.
    Fishing is always good. Catching is sometimes bad

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jim C, When I but my bunk boards on I use spray carpet glue and then used stainless steel staples to tack it down.
    Fishing is always good. Catching is sometimes bad

Post Thanks / Like

Yes i think that is what i will do just get the boards ready with new lag bolts & power pac when i go to the lake next time.Should not take very long to change them out. Thanks for the reply Jim C.

Post Thanks / Like

Nitronate, I'd be reluctant as it doesn't distribute the weight of the boat evenly. Roller trailers are common in the northern U.S. where they deal with natural lakes and shallow ramps. Also common are concave areas in the hull where it sits on a roller. It can affect both aluminum and glass boats alike. If you own a glass bass boat call their customer service department and ask if they will warranty a boat if its on a roller trailer and you'll have your answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Trailers with rollers have a safety chain that is not supposed to be unhooked till the boat is in the water.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast