Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fuel shortage? ... Oil $200 a barrel speculated?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuel shortage? ... Oil $200 a barrel speculated?

Early to bed, early to rise,
    Fish like hell, make up lies.

Post Thanks / Like

Default pump pics

Early to bed, early to rise,
    Fish like hell, make up lies.

Post Thanks / Like

Those look like it hurt to fill up If I spend $50 to fill up I am Mad, I couldn't imagine $800. I hope you have a fuel expense through your company.( I am assuming that you are OTR)
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Andrus Cove, La. (between Lake Arthur & Jennings)
    Post Thanks / Like

Shortage my ***. I was reading where the govt. has made refineries slow down production or completely stop production of fuel to keep oil prices high.

I come from a commercial shrimping family and things just don't add up. Fuel prices are up 300% from what they were paying 10 years ago but the price of shrimp are lower now than in the 1980's. I was talking with my uncle the other day as he was fueling his boat which holds about 8000 gals. He was only able to put about 500 gals due to the price and the fact that shrimp prices are so low. The only reason he is able to keep doing it is his boat is paid for.

Warren
    The postings on this site by me, Marshrat, are opinion only unless specified as truth. I will not be held responsible for anyone using my opinions as an aliby to keep from getting in trouble with the law.:D

Post Thanks / Like

You know, the price of oil itself is right in line with the price of gold. It used to be, one oz of gold would buy ten barrels of oil. It's exactly the same now. Gold is floating around 1k an oz, and oil around $100. I don't think the government has slowed any refining other than maybe switching some diesel refining to gas. Which would explain why diesel is climbing higher than gas is. If we could get away from the enviromentalists and all the laws regulating building new refinerys, we would see them popping up everywhere, thus lowering the price of gas for all of us.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think that the oil companies want to build more refineries. I think that they are completely happy like it is now with the refineries operating at full capacities. It is their sweet spot for profit margin. Why would they want to change that. Maybe as demand for fuel increases enough to allow adding another refinery that could operate at full capacity then they would want to do so. I think the real shame is that we are not sitting here with the capacity to turn some of our vast supply of coal into liquid fuel. Many years ago I was employed by a large petrochemical construction company which was working on just such pilot projects and these studies at that time were being funded by government money. This was back in the Carter days of gas line if you remember that. Well somehow the money got disapropriated or something and the studies for the construction of these synfuels plants just droped dead in their tracks. I have read that it takes a price of oil in the 38 bucks a barrel range to make this type of oil production an econically viable venture. But the processes need to be finalized and plants built before there is any relief from these high gass prices. Just as a matter of an alternative to the oil when it does run dry is reason enough to proceed with it in my opinion. But the OPEC countries have us but the you know whats now and it doesnt seem that we have enough smart politicians to realize that we need to act and act now. If OPEC decides to cripple us I believe they could do it. I dont think that is what they want though. They just want to be in the drivers seat for now. But we are real dumb to think that they are our friend.