Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Outboard help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Outboard help

I think I'm in the right place. I have an old Scott Atwater motor and I need some help with it. I can't get it to idle. It will only start and run when it is wide open. I've tried carb cleaner and that didn't help. I've talked to "The Scott Guy" and I tried what he told me and it still won't idle. I don't have the slightest idea how to work on a motor so that is out of the question. Does anyone know if there is a repair shop that still works on these. I'm in Central Ohio so somewhere close to that would be great. Do any of you have any ideas that I could try. I'm up for anything. Thanks.
    fishintiger

Look for me on Ohio Game Fishing I'm fishintiger there too.

Still searching for that 20 inch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of compression do you have? most older outboard fuel systems rely on compression to make these engines idle. I had the same problem with my evinrude, and had to rering the motor, problem solved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishintiger
    I think I'm in the right place. I have an old Scott Atwater motor and I need some help with it. I can't get it to idle. It will only start and run when it is wide open. I've tried carb cleaner and that didn't help. I've talked to "The Scott Guy" and I tried what he told me and it still won't idle. I don't have the slightest idea how to work on a motor so that is out of the question. Does anyone know if there is a repair shop that still works on these. I'm in Central Ohio so somewhere close to that would be great. Do any of you have any ideas that I could try. I'm up for anything. Thanks.
    I'm with you fishingtiger....NO CLUE about engines!!! Sorry!
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

fishintiger you might go to www.themarinedoctor.com hes good about solving problems.LOL.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sound like the carb needs to be rebuilt. If you just used that spray in type carb cleaner, that does nothing for the inside of the carb.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Sound like the carb needs to be rebuilt. If you just used that spray in type carb cleaner, that does nothing for the inside of the carb.
    I have to concur with IBNFSHN.....find a good carb cleaner, take all rubber and plastic parts out of the carb, disassemble and soak it overnight, then rinse it with water and throughly dry it. Dearl has a good point also, compression is necessary and should be equal or close to other cylinders, if there are more than one. A carb kit would be a good idea when you reassemble.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

check this site out . the marine doctor or some one on there will help http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl
    retired and now i will always fish

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

this is another good site for motor repair http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help and the links guys. I was expecting a couple of replys but not as many as I got. I will check out the links and hopefully I can get it running properly. I'm hoping to use it at the end of the month. We'll see. Thanks again guys.
    fishintiger

Look for me on Ohio Game Fishing I'm fishintiger there too.

Still searching for that 20 inch crappie.