PDA

View Full Version : Need rod holder advice PLEASE

gooch
04-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Heres the deal I am new to the spider rigging thing. I need a rod holder that will work in my Bass Tracker style bass boat (typical front and rear decks) and on a pontoon boat. I will be using it 90% of the time for crappie fishing. and the other 10% for drift fishing for catfish. So I need a rod holder that will adjust and let me angle the poles down for crappie, so the rod tips are just over the water, and angle up for drift fishing for river cats. I would also like one that has the abiltity to move the height of the support up and down again so I can set it at the ideal height in both boats
I have seen the driftmaster and it looks like a kids erector set and I just cant tell by looking at the 10,000 peices they sell you if it will satisfy my needs. The busy bee looks great but doesent look like it will adjust up or down like I want. I need some help guys. Any advice would sure be appreciated.

VietVet68
04-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Gooch,

I just went through the same deal. I ended up going with six Tite-Lok square rail mounts on my Pontoon. I did not want a "Tee" bar because I didn't want my holders out beyond the railing, and I also didn't want to have to build some half-as*ed deal so I could swivel them down. The Tite-Loks works very well and I can put the rods in the water if I wish.

Barnacle Bill
04-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Gooch,

I just went through the same deal. I ended up going with six Tite-Lok square rail mounts on my Pontoon. I did not want a "Tee" bar because I didn't want my holders out beyond the railing, and I also didn't want to have to build some half-as*ed deal so I could swivel them down. The Tite-Loks works very well and I can put the rods in the water if I wish.

Are you talking about the Black Widow models made by tite-loc? I've been looking at them at BPS.

Bart
04-11-2005, 04:39 PM
I just spoke with the guy who makes Bee Ready's and he says you can adjust them appx 20* up or down from the horizontal position with the gromets provided. That would equate to appx 12" off the water give or take depending on how long your rods are. No need to get rod tips lower than that IMO. I ordered a pair of them so I will soon see for myself. I do like the fact that the design is simple... nothing rising above the flat mounting bar to get in the way. Tite-Lok holders are very well made also just a bit pricey for me. You can also make some with 1/2" pipe and wal-mart holders for under 20 bucks that will work just as well as any.

Dutch
04-11-2005, 05:25 PM
I use the Driftmaster rod holders on my boat. Bought the ones that have the star base included, bolted them to my front deck 3 to a side. Works great. Also have the Driftmaster T-Bar, has 4 rodholders on a 24' bar that is 9' high. I use it to run poles out the front of the boat. YMMV

VietVet68
04-11-2005, 05:59 PM
I just spoke with the guy who makes Bee Ready's and he says you can adjust them appx 20* up or down from the horizontal position with the gromets provided. That would equate to appx 12" off the water give or take depending on how long your rods are. No need to get rod tips lower than that IMO. I ordered a pair of them so I will soon see for myself. I do like the fact that the design is simple... nothing rising above the flat mounting bar to get in the way. Tite-Lok holders are very well made also just a bit pricey for me. You can also make some with 1/2" pipe and wal-mart holders for under 20 bucks that will work just as well as any. That's strange, I sent Bee an e-mail asking that very same question, the response came back that "no, they are not adjustable vertically", that is why I went to Lok-Tites....er Tite-Loks.

Bart
04-11-2005, 06:37 PM
I spoke with Ed Phillips this morning at 214-354-9570. He said there are two gromets included. I think he said one is used to elevate the rod tips for catfishing and one to lower them for crappie. I'll let you know the skinny on them when I get them mounted. I should have them in a couple days.

Crappie Chaser
04-11-2005, 07:21 PM
Gooch, you can PM or ask Driftmaster here on the forum any questions about how you can set up your rigging system for crappie and catfish. He'll tell you what you need. On my boat, I have a couple T-Bars in front of the boat for spider-rigging and I can adjust my poles horizontally and vertically where I need the baits to be. I also have several bases mounted around my boat for the rod holders when drifting, catfishing, or fishing on the sides of the boat around docks, cover, etc... when fishing with more than one pole. No need to buy a rod holder for every base. I just unscrew the holders off of the T-Bar and screw them in the other bases where I want my poles to be. This way, I can adjust to any way I want to fish. I can switch from drifting or doodlesocking from the side or rear, to spider-rigging in the front in less than a minute.

Heres the deal I am new to the spider rigging thing. I need a rod holder that will work in my Bass Tracker style bass boat (typical front and rear decks) and on a pontoon boat. I will be using it 90% of the time for crappie fishing. and the other 10% for drift fishing for catfish. So I need a rod holder that will adjust and let me angle the poles down for crappie, so the rod tips are just over the water, and angle up for drift fishing for river cats. I would also like one that has the abiltity to move the height of the support up and down again so I can set it at the ideal height in both boats
I have seen the driftmaster and it looks like a kids erector set and I just cant tell by looking at the 10,000 peices they sell you if it will satisfy my needs. The busy bee looks great but doesent look like it will adjust up or down like I want. I need some help guys. Any advice would sure be appreciated.

fiddlefarter
04-11-2005, 07:27 PM
I have one tite-lok 4 rod holder. The only gripe I got is that it doesn't seem to be as tough as me. Seems kinda light weight. At least the vert. rod does I'm going to order the 1" dia. pro tournament series rod. And if I like that I will order another 4 rod Pro tournament series holder. If not I might look into the Ultra series.
Only thing I don't think I would like about Driftmaster is on the T bar its only 10" tall. If it was about 15" I would check them out being a crappie.com sponsor and all. But they're holders are first class. I have a friend that drifts live bait for rockfish and that's all he uses and they are tuff.
But hey I'm new to spider rigging too. Actually I have to start all over pretty much cause one of my storage compartment lids crushed 3 of my 12' rods today. I broke 1 of them on a fish and the other when I got hung up. The other one I checked and found it was cracked in the same place the others broke in. Wally Marshalls though and I had 2 BPS associates in customer service fishing with me who called and got 5 sent in to the local store which was out of stock of 12 footers.

papasage
04-11-2005, 07:28 PM
this is my home made pole holders and racks http://img151.echo.cx/my.php?image=crappieboat5xl.jpg

papasage
04-11-2005, 07:35 PM
http://img151.echo.cx/my.php?image=boats00235mp.jpg

papasage
04-11-2005, 07:42 PM
http://img96.echo.cx/my.php?image=redneckpoleholders9ny.jpg this is my home made at a close look . at first i didnt make the hole for the but of the pole long and was a little hard to git out and in . after longating them they worked better . for a large fish i use irrrigation pipe . like cat fish . papasage

Barnacle Bill
04-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Is anyone using these?? http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=7560&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

The holders look a little close together.

Driftmaster
04-12-2005, 07:38 AM
Gooch,
If I can answer any questions about our products, please call or PM, I think we can help you.

Driftmaster

whizkids
04-12-2005, 08:33 AM
Is anyone using these?? http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=7560&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

The holders look a little close together.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------That was the first set I bought, 4 rod set. It was too flimsy. I called Tite-Loc , complained and they sent me their pro pole ( 5840 Black Widow Ultra) http://www.titelok.com/black%20widow.htm That was last year.

skiptomylu
04-12-2005, 08:50 AM
FYI, with my Bee's I can even hook my trot line on it to hold my pontoon boat. Did just that this morning cuz I was by my self and had to go to the back of my boat for something to help get a fish off.

I have the base with a riser that the holder mounts since I need to get my holders above my rails and my base is mounted in the deck.

Driftmaster I am sure yours are good too, just I have the others. I also did try several others that were made of composite material and they all started to crack ( not because I use them to hold my boat either, LOL).

Driftmaster no disrespect intended from me!

labill
04-12-2005, 09:30 AM
Go to the top of this page and left click on the crappie, then scroll down to the test area and open it and select "test, labill." I made them from a piece of 4" schedule 40 pvc and they make great rod holders. They swivel side to side and adjust up and down.....just another option to consider. :)

rango
04-12-2005, 09:52 AM
heres my setup. i use the pipe flanges to mount my t's to the boat. however if you dont wanna mount the flanges, all you gotta do is mount a 1/2 bolt in the end of the pipe and screw the rack into a half inch threaded mount you can mount in your boat. you can get the bases or make em yourself.. the driftmasters are completely adjustable. up or down, left or right. i dont think no rod holder out there is gonna beat the half inch models for holding rods, for any type of fishing you will wanna do.,

Barnacle Bill
04-12-2005, 11:33 AM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------That was the first set I bought, 4 rod set. It was too flimsy. I called Tite-Loc , complained and they sent me their pro pole ( 5840 Black Widow Ultra) http://www.titelok.com/black%20widow.htm That was last year.

Did that work better??

Bart
04-12-2005, 05:26 PM
There is now a link on the Bee Ready web site that shows close up pics of the gromets and riser tops. www.bee-readys.com Problem solved!

fiddlefarter
04-12-2005, 06:01 PM
Whizkids did you have to pay extra for the Pro rod. If not I'm gonna call and complain tomorrow, before I order one.