PDA

View Full Version : To: NOODLE or not to NOODLE:

CrappieLips
04-11-2005, 11:37 AM
What's your view? Have you ever? :rolleyes: Thats what i'm talking about for catfish. Thought i'd post it then reply. There's no way I'm Going to stick my arm up in under a bank or in a hole where i can't see. Tooooo many snakes ,beavers, otters, turtles, & monster cats. and no telling what else. yall have a goodun.LOL. HEY GUYS I DIDN'T MEAN TO TURN THIS SITE INTO CATFISH.COM HAHA. :D

england
04-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Are you talking about noodleing for catfish?

rebelduckaholic
04-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Is it the same thing as hand grabbin

crappster
04-11-2005, 12:07 PM
As much as I love to get down and dirty in mother nature...I'd have to pass on the noodling. Unless I could get some gloves that would withstand the bite of the various creatures that could take a finger off. It looks like a ton of fun. On second thought I might give it a try if the opportunity ever presents itself. But no way I would make a living out of it.

skiptomylu
04-11-2005, 12:10 PM
I'll watch when you noodle, but I am not sticking my hand where some snapping turtle may remove 2 or 3 fingers. Not to mention several other animals.

So for me it is not to noodle! Never!!!!

GABoy
04-11-2005, 12:17 PM
What's your view? Have you ever? :rolleyes:

I haven't yet, and I am not sure that I will....if you would have caught me a few years ago I might have.

bhodges
04-11-2005, 12:18 PM
No way, No how, No Sir, Nuh uh
I'll come with Skip to watch you do it though.

GABoy
04-11-2005, 12:20 PM
No way, No how, No Sir, Nuh uh
I'll come with Skip to watch you do it though.

Oh heck yeah...I will watch all day long....probably even take some pictures!!

gooch
04-11-2005, 12:31 PM
I wouldnt think of doing it in any natural cover but I do have 7 or 8 boxes out for them in my home lake. Its not to bad in the crystal clear water. I go down with a mask and fins on and I can see in the box to make sure that there are no snappers and snakes before I go sticking my hand in. You can actually just stick your hand by the opening and wave it like a bream swimming and they will just slam it thinking its a bream on a egg hunt then you got em.
I know that I will probably get kicked off crappie.com for this but I do enjoy a fine peice of flathead as well as a crappie.

england
04-11-2005, 12:32 PM
CrappieLips,
I guess you are talking about catfish.I used to go after large flathead cats in the spring.I allways used rod and reel to catch these monsters. Theres nothing more exciting than having a 40 pound plus fish that pulls like a truck on the end of your line.
These guys that noodle for them have there right to catch these fish with this method, which is fine with me, but a large percentage of them don't play by the rules and regs.This method of fishing is a little to effective. These guys can rape a small river of these monster breading females in a hurry. Anybody who disagrees with this has not seen it happen. I have, and thats the reason I don't even catfish anymore. I have a few friends that use this method and they only keep what they need. They do try to catch the monsters, then they take a picture and let her go. There biggist to date is 68 pounds, what a fish!

GABoy
04-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Man...I cannot imagine catching a 68 lb fish like that!!

skiptomylu
04-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Also heard about a guy that was new to noodling and was drowned. They way I understand it is he stuck his hand into a hole in the bank and a big cat got a hold of him, but then he could not get the fish or his hand out. He stuck his hand into a hole that the catfish was not using to get in that spot and he could not pull the catfish out since the fish was bigger then the hole.

GABoy
04-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Also heard about a guy that was new to noodling and was drowned. They way I understand it is he stuck his hand into a hole in the bank and a big cat got a hold of him, but then he could not get the fish or his hand out. He stuck his hand into a hole that the catfish was not using to get in that spot and he could not pull the catfish out since the fish was bigger then the hole.

Yeah...see that'd be my luck!!

crappster
04-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Now that is scary.....a catfish that ways considerably less than you can put a unremovable clamp on your hand.

unknown 5
04-11-2005, 04:04 PM
You fellows need to go to www.catfish1.com. There are several noodlers on that board but most of us catch big cats the conventional ways with rod and reel.

Crapbie
04-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Once on tv a month or so a go I saw this show on huge squid and this scientist guy who dives to swim with them while a hundred boats all float over head fishing for these huge squids with these glow in the dark weird lures with thousnds of teeth that the squid can not resist tied to just rope that they would lift up and down and called jiging. Every person was bringing them in as often as they put there lure out. The squid would get so worked up from so many getting yanked through the water they would attack each other and the lures so they all just got slaughtered, nightyl. They would squirt the fishermen when they got pulled up with ink over and over and the fishermen would just hold them away until they were done then throw them on the huge pile. It really poses the questions how easy is to easy when it comes to fishing. At what point do you say this is to easy and we should stop? I would think in the ocean its even harder to grasp the damage to a species over such a short time. Im pretty sure they only just discovered the squid and how to fish for them so there are no current reguations so they are just really whiping them out. Did anyone else see the show or hear about the giant squid fishing? I think they were humboldt squid which probaly means it happened in california. Sorry nothing about catfish in here but who cares about them anyway lol just joking lol

Dutch
04-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Tried it, got scars on my left hand as a memento. Them big cats got a mouthful of teeth that will take the hide off your hand. That was in my younger days. Happened on the Altamaha River in South Ga., we was down there camping out and got to talking about it, throw in a bunch of cold Budwieser and we went grabbin. We found a good one(25 lbs. or so), I got a hold on him (actually it was the other way around, he had me!) and finally with help from my buddies got him out. My left hand was shredded but good, then it got infected. Never done it again, once was enough. Now I will just catch them on a rod and reel. Only time I have ever had my tail whipped by a fish.

rebelduckaholic
04-11-2005, 06:14 PM
That is the same thing I was thinking it was. I will say a definate NO.

Moose1am
04-11-2005, 06:16 PM
I think I will let three toed bubba do the noodling and I will stick to fishing with a graphite rod and reel. :)

As much as I love to get down and dirty in mother nature...I'd have to pass on the noodling. Unless I could get some gloves that would withstand the bite of the various creatures that could take a finger off. It looks like a ton of fun. On second thought I might give it a try if the opportunity ever presents itself. But no way I would make a living out of it.

LBM
04-11-2005, 07:10 PM
I would definately like to observe noodling up close but probably never will since it is illegal in Kansas. Did watch Wade Bourne on a fishing show try it one time. The idea of a big ol flathead clamping on ones hand or arm and rolling like a alligator where you could end up with broken bones or a very skinned up appendage as very intimidating.

I can tie channel cat fishing to the crappie board because I'l use my 11 ft crappie pole with 50 lb braid to fish for the cats. I fish around the feeders the Kansas Dept of Wildlife and Parks puts out. I use a circle hook with a piece of cut bait and sometimes a split shot and flip the bait up to and around the feeder. I let the bait settle through the water column to the bottom and let it set for 30 seconds or so and reflip it back in if it is not picked up. I don't anchor but just work around the feeder. When they pick the bait up there is nothing subtle about the bite, its just like them saying give it to me this is mine.

The fish must be keep out of the anchor chain holding the feeder in place. Sometimes I've had to break fish off when they get wrapped around the chain. I've caught fish around 15 pounds using this method. It is a real rush to get these fish turned and into open water and play them, using the long pole, until you get them into the boat. I release the fish if they reach the 10 pound mark on the scale to be caught again.

I agree with gooch about eating cat type fish. In my case grain feed channel.
I filet them out with a electric knife and cut off any red or silver leaving just delicious firm textured white meat that is just as good as a crappie filet. IMHO

I don't know what kind of chemicals and such we are consuming but we have crappie filets one day a week and channel filets one day a week. My wife is not fond of fish but will eat two of six filets at a meal. She would be more favorable to eating fish if it was fried, and me to, but with colestoral as her concern and hypertension as mine the fish is usually baked with olive oil coating and garlic powder.

LBM

lakeman
04-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Thats the way to get'um. :D :D

DENNIS BOWERS
04-12-2005, 04:28 AM
I Went With Some Guys From Tiffin Ohio Several Years Back--needless To Say I Decided Being A Spectator Was Good Enough For Me!!it Sure Was Fun Watchin Though!!good Fishin To Ya!!!dennis