Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tough fishing in Central Indiana

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tough fishing in Central Indiana

Central Indiana is going through the one of the worst Spring I have seen for weather and Crappie fishing. Temperatures seem to be dropping 25-35 in day/night temps and the Crappie are here today and gone tomorrow. I have had my best luck fishing dock pilings and still using my ice fishing jigs tipped with minnows and bee moth. Fish are biting, but it's tough fishing and not good for the impatient fisherman. I have a question for anyone that can answer it.....

I have been catching most of my fish around docks pilings in 8-12' of water. Using ice fishing jigs. I want to get the boat out, but I have been doing better standing on the docks than I have in my boat so far. Where should I be targeting fish in the boat right now??? I am absolutely fooled by this bad Spring we are having. Water is muddy and in the mid-upper 40 degree range. I have the equipment to Spider-Rig, Vertical Jig, etc... Whatever it takes I am willing to try. I like to think I am a decent Crappie fisherman, but Lord is it tough out there this year. Maybe I should chalk one up to Mother Nature this Spring, I have no idea.
    Caught so many fish today my thumb is sore from clicking the counter.

Post Thanks / Like

Feel fortunate that you have open water. Snow still on the ground and ice on the lakes here. Its the slowest, most consistent weather pattern in spring I can remember. Its like watching the tide go out in super slomo.
    Good things come to those who bait.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Papermouth ....

Quote Originally Posted by PapermouthLegend View Post
    Central Indiana is going through the one of the worst Spring I have seen for weather and Crappie fishing. Temperatures seem to be dropping 25-35 in day/night temps and the Crappie are here today and gone tomorrow. I have had my best luck fishing dock pilings and still using my ice fishing jigs tipped with minnows and bee moth. Fish are biting, but it's tough fishing and not good for the impatient fisherman. I have a question for anyone that can answer it.....
    I have been catching most of my fish around docks pilings in 8-12' of water. Using ice fishing jigs. I want to get the boat out, but I have been doing better standing on the docks than I have in my boat so far. Where should I be targeting fish in the boat right now??? I am absolutely fooled by this bad Spring we are having. Water is muddy and in the mid-upper 40 degree range. I have the equipment to Spider-Rig, Vertical Jig, etc... Whatever it takes I am willing to try. I like to think I am a decent Crappie fisherman, but Lord is it tough out there this year. Maybe I should chalk one up to Mother Nature this Spring, I have no idea.
    Take the boat, use your electronics to find other docks with equal water depths around the dock pilings, & fish them the same way Hey, if it's working at your dock ... it should be working on others.
    If the water is muddy/dirty and still in the 40's ... the fish are probably a bit lethargic, maybe even stressed. The "meat" you have on your hook helps them find the offering ... the size of the offering, being small, is easy for them to consume while in their cold water state.
    Personally, I'd be Vertical Casting around every dock post I could find Dirty water can sometimes cause the fish to nose up to a stationary object, allowing them to stay in an upright position and maintain their equilibrium/balance. The cold water temps is keeping their metabolism slowed down, so a big meal isn't necessary. You're catching fish, where you are and how you're fishing, so just expand your horizons and get out there and find those other productive docks :D

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default whats working

Whats been working for me over here in Ohio with the same type water/weather conditions, is to fish bobber/minnow style from 2-5 ft. deep around the ends of fallen trees with the medium size minnow. Be sure to weigh the waggler-style floats so it barely floats above water (easier to see VERY LIGHT bites) and don't let it drift much. With the cold muddy water and all this wind, it seems the crappie are holding on the trees for some warmer water and baitfish. Better weather will be here soon...I hope.

NP

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you man, It's looking alot like last spring here in north central Indiana; low temps., day after day of rain, flood rivers and resovoirs. Last year the rain and cold fronts really made the crappie fishing tough even during the spawn. The weather also, ruined the walleye run and slowed the white bass run with high muddy rivers and spillways. Looking back 2006 was a good year for spring fishing,early spring warm weather little rain; last year we had snow the second week of april ! Got to love Indiana weather :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Central IN. also. We went out in the boat sat. and brought home 20. Thats slow for us. We are skipping piers and jigging trees with red and white tubes. The water was so muddy that we could not see the bottom of the live wells.
    Bill