Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marine Radios

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marine Radios

Anyone have any experience with marine radios. I am looking for an emergency communication device for the areas on LOZ where there is no cell phone service. Anyone know if the water patrol or any marinas monitor marine radio channels. Also, what about on other area lakes like Truman, Stockton, etc.?
    Mike

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I have a hand held walkie talkie type of marine radio. I bought it from Bass Pro. It has a cradle that mounts inside my boat. It has a automatic emergency channel just by pressing a button. I know the Coast Guard and barge traffic on the Mississippi monitor the emergency channel. It also has a weather channel with an alert alarm. I don't know if the channel is monitored on LOZ but I would assume the water patrol would.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

What you Guys need to remember is that those radio freqs. are just line of sight, like a CB or even a cell phone (that's why they're on towers). They don't get a skip off of the atmosphere. Unless you have a 100 ft antenna on the back of your boat your limited to 6 miles due to curvature of the earth if you have the watts output to go that far. Later, Ship The am side on which the weather band is on does get a skip off the atmosphere.
    Last edited by ship; 03-29-2008 at 06:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike they can get pretty complacated,there is simplex,duplex,triplex models line of sight, repeter towers,find a good radio outfiter and they can help you our old radios at work would work from cassville mo to kc mo. or we could switch truck to truck and talk about 8mi. the marine radios work on the same principal... but are in the 130to 240mhz. range depending on what freq.aut.they have from the FCC and most of the good ones you need a license,not that big of a deal to get the license... so do some checking with a pro and you will be a lot happier.... m2cw

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple of marine radios that came with a boat I bought that came off the Great Lakes. One is a newer one that I know works, & the other I put power to and it powered on, but wasn't hooked to an antenna. If you want to try one or both let me know, your welcome to them. I have no use for them, but didn't want to throw them away if someone could use them. They are the CB looking type.
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tim for the offer but after reading Beagle's post I have decided that being a lowly lawyer I am not near smart enough to operate one. Will just keep a good pair of hiking boots in the boat and walk out if I have a break down.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    Mike they can get pretty complacated,there is simplex,duplex,triplex models line of sight, repeter towers,find a good radio outfiter and they can help you our old radios at work would work from cassville mo to kc mo. or we could switch truck to truck and talk about 8mi. the marine radios work on the same principal... but are in the 130to 240mhz. range depending on what freq.aut.they have from the FCC and most of the good ones you need a license,not that big of a deal to get the license... so do some checking with a pro and you will be a lot happier.... m2cw
    Hey Mike, an FCC lic. is just a go down and pay a few dollars, not a big deal at all. All private pilots and above have to have one before they can be certified. It's just pay a few dollar deal. Later, Ship

Post Thanks / Like

You might also try a good walkie talkie. It would be better than nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

CB radio should do the job. Lots of people around the lakes use them, including the water patrol.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'll help

Quote Originally Posted by mr. baker View Post
    Thanks Tim for the offer but after reading Beagle's post I have decided that being a lowly lawyer I am not near smart enough to operate one. Will just keep a good pair of hiking boots in the boat and walk out if I have a break down.
    You know I'm close to the State Park area, Mike. So if you're hiking out in that area, stop by and I'll give you an emergency beer! :D
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast