Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What ever happened

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What ever happened

What ever happened to the Beetle Spin? I trolled with and cast them for Crappie when I lived in FL, but hear of no one using them lately. I have caught lots of fish on them over the years, and always carry them in the box. Any input?
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

i use them all the time but usually trade of the beetle for a twist tail grub...

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Skeetbum it seems like they have fallen out of favor. Don't know why exactly, good lure....can cover alot of water and can fish them a little slower if need be. I know I throw one occasionally but probably not as much as I could.
    Duane

Post Thanks / Like

I use them with the Road Runners, The Beetle Spin can be used a lot faster than the RR which is fished really slow. Just different range of the water colume Beetle Spin is better when they are suspended or only down a few feet.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to say the "basic" beetle spin is my go to lure.........for Everything. Crappies, Bluegills, Bass, & Walleyes all eat 'em up. I buy the parts & make 'em myself, but it is basically the beetle spin or mini-spinnerbait.
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." --Patrick F MacManus

Post Thanks / Like

I actually forgot about my Beetle spins . I caught my first Crappie on them in the 70's , and caught a ton of fish on them back then .
    After reading this thread , I might have to tie one on .

Post Thanks / Like

Thay still see sell Beetle spins at the BPS hear in Ft.Myers FL. I still use them every now and then.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use the beetle body...I just buy the spinner wire and blade and put it on my own head and jig body, or on a hand tied jig. I caught tons of bream on them growing up...never really targeted crappie with them.

Post Thanks / Like

i still go to them now and then. locally they are great for small bass. bream love em. using the same beetle spin i went from catching a 4" lil bream then hooked up a 27" channel cat. fine lil lures.