Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Boat Ramp Etiquette

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Ramp Etiquette

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...MEBC1_2_cmAB_A

I found this article on the Bass Pro Shop Web site. I think it's something that we all could read and make good use of.

It's geared towards everyone who fishes and launches and retrieves a boat.

Hope you all read it and even add something to the suggestions for others to learn from
    Regards,

Moose1am

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default right of way ...

One thing not mentioned in this article is - who has the "right of way" at the ramp ?? ... when there is a line of loaders and unloaders. I've always been told that a vehicle that is removing a boat from the water (loader) has the right of way, and should be allowed to proceed to the ramp and retrieve their boat ... BEFORE any vehicle that is preparing to launch a boat (unloader). Being as they are removing their boat from the water, and their vehicle from the lot .... they are, in effect, creating "more space" for those who are just arriving. And yes, I am aware that the new arrivals are in a big hurry to get out on the water and enjoy their time there. But, if boats that are leaving the water are allowed to go first ... new arrivals may find they have a better chance at parking close to the ramp, and not have to walk up/down a long hill to park their vehicle - or park in a secondary lot (which in some cases is a field, and subject to being muddy or slippery - not to mention a fer piece from the ramp ! )
    This is especially true on multi-lane ramps ... but could also apply to single lane ramps (if you have the ability/space to pull past another vehicle which has yet to launch). But - on single lane ramps, it seems that most of the time, people tend to think in terms of "first come - first served" :rolleyes: ... in those cases I am generally in favor of "helping" those in line, in front of me, to get their boat in the water in the fastest (but safest) time - if and when they "allow" me to help. I'm well aware of the fact that getting in a hurry at the ramp, is a recipe for mistakes ... and those mistakes can range from the humorous :D to the down right dangerous !!
    The same mindset should be taken at the ramp, when loading or unloading your boat, as it is when driving to work or anywhere else -- better late than never ... drive to arrive alive ... better safe than sorry !! A couple of minutes wait on the ramp won't make or break your fishing trip ... but, being in a rush can !! ........take your time and set your boat up in the parking lot, then launch -- and/or -- load your boat on the trailer and pull it out of the water and get off the ramp, and onto the parking lot (loading/unloading) area, then clean your boat and put away your gear and make the boat ready for the drive home ....................luck2ya .................cp