Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Don't let you head limit your fish catching!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't let you head limit your fish catching!

I have caught fish this year in very shallow water , like 12"-18" and a few trolling is 4'-6' of water.

However today I went back to my old stomping grounds over at Housen Bay here on T-Bend. The first bank I pilled into was just down from the marina I use to guide out of and I have never crappie fished that spot. Well I was still trying to get set up and had one rod out with that 1/4 oz. Silver/Blue/Silver UV stuff and just trolling to where I thought I was going.

Well all of a sudden wham a crappie on and nice one at that. So I didn't have anything ready like a bouy so just started going in a circle kind of and thought at first I had picked him up in like 7 1/2' of water, but it was not. After searching around to find the drop off and a irregular one at that I quickly learned I needed to be in 11'-12' of water and that is where I caught all my fish which was about 12 or so nice ones (I still have not counted them) in about 1 hour and 15 minutes. I am positive if someone had been with me we would have had 30 at least.

Anyway I didn't start out thinking 11' of water at all, but that is where I got them.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

now that is a good story one never knows where they might be....

Post Thanks / Like

Skip that is what is nice. the Fish will tell us where there at if we will only watch what we are doing.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

listen to what the fish are saying! give them what they want where they want it! my two cents

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar day back in 1981 while bass fishing in FL. It was the end of the day, getting ready to load the boat and I was about 100 ft in front of the boat ramp and I noticed one of my reels had a small backlash...I picked it up and made a cast and worked the knot out. While reeling in the slack line (with a Bagleys BabyBass Crankbait) it got hammered by a 3 lb bass. I boated the fish and decided to make another cast in the general area...low and behold, another fish, etc. etc...this went on for over an hour and we caught over 20 nice fish. And to think we were leaving! Just goes to show...huh
    Support Our Troops!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey skip, what was the water temp out there? Good going on the catch.

Post Thanks / Like

Good show Skip!!
    Now where in the world would you get an idea they might be in 10 -12' in Housen???:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:
    Wish I could've been there to help out on the total!
    on the road again...just can't wait to get back to...TOLEDO BEND

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rangertee View Post
    Good show Skip!!
    Now where in the world would you get an idea they might be in 10 -12' in Housen???:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:
    Wish I could've been there to help out on the total!
    Actually I was headed shallower, but just dragging my jig and trying to get ready as I have been doing better shallow. I know you and some have been catching some deeper, but I had not until yesterday. I started with my line out in 20 something foot of water after I pulled off the boat lane and put putted about half way to the bank. This was my first stop and actually thought the first fish was more like 7' (about where I had been catching a few), but with more circling around it didn't take long to see they were hitting my jig in over 10' of water. I didn't even remember you telling me that about Housen when I was there or I probably would have been looking for them in that depth, but I was not. Only after I caught about 5 or 6 did I remember what you said that then it made perfect sense.

Actually didn't expect to catch fish were I was either as I was still on my way to the first stop which I never made it to. I was withing spitting distance of Fin & Feather and never got past F&F.

Didn't see anyone else crappie fishing. Where were you in Housen? I figured you were in a completely different place like maybe in the back of Housen which I had no plans on making it back there. I did consider on the other side from F&F, but never thought about it again. Heck I didn't even get into a cove.

I was just so happy to be over in Housen because I had been wanting to go over there ever since it even thought about spring and actually I wanted to run over there last Spring, but I had no faith in that smaller boat I had to be able to get back.

If this rain will leave early today I may head back over there.

Hummmm, you know I didn't think about it but if the fish are that deep over there then that community hole out from Housen may be killer. Have not been fishing at that spot for years, many years.

Skip
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 03-29-2008 at 06:28 AM.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

It is funny how that there is always something to learn in fishing. I think that is what make you love it so much
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson