Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need some help

Post Thanks / Like

Default need some help

i mostly long line troll, but got a chance to fish with a buddy of mine over the weekend who drifts with the wind. i had a great time and caught some really big fish, but lost quite a few. we were "pushing" baits out the front 3.5 ft deep under a cork with maybe 1.5 ft of line out over the cork from the end of the rod tip. i set my drag really loose and tried to pull out some line as i worked the fish in, but still lost a few fish. anybody got any tips to help me out with a better way to land fish?

TN River: Clifton, Perryville, occasionally northward
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate to sound stupid, but what is long line trolling, as opposed to spider-rigging??
    BSRRofl

Post Thanks / Like

Long line trolling is just letting line out the back of the boat and pulling yur bait with your trolling motor while moving forward...spider rigging is a verticle presentation usually over the bow of the boat and is usually a slower straight down presentation. Now if I understand you right abarkley...you had your bobber on the same side that you were heading? If so, the first thing I would do is move to the other side of the boat so that you are pulling your baits and let out more line so that you have some slack to allow the fish to do its thing when hooked.
    Duane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigSandyRookie View Post
    I hate to sound stupid, but what is long line trolling, as opposed to spider-rigging??
    Long line trolling is where you pull lines out behind your boat usually around a 100 feet behind. Spider rigging to me is what some call slow trolling where your lines hang vertical and are pushed out the front.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whackmaster View Post
    Long line trolling is just letting line out the back of the boat and pulling yur bait with your trolling motor while moving forward...spider rigging is a verticle presentation usually over the bow of the boat and is usually a slower straight down presentation. Now if I understand you right abarkley...you had your bobber on the same side that you were heading? If so, the first thing I would do is move to the other side of the boat so that you are pulling your baits and let out more line so that you have some slack to allow the fish to do its thing when hooked.

I agree with you.

Post Thanks / Like

i want the baits in front of the boat so i dont spook fish in shallow water. that's sort of the point in pushing them instead of pulling them. thanks for the replies.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a question, if you're in 20 ft. or less of water and you have 100 feet of line out the back of the boat and you're using just straight jigs or roadrunners with no extra weight, how do you keep your baits from dragging the bottom? I tried this several times back when it was colder and caught some fish but I was trying to slow down the presentation and usually hung up four of the five poles on the bottom. Every once in a while I'd catch a fish on it before it had time to get down there. Is speed the key to keep them off the bottom? Thanks.
    Last edited by jstlovtofish; 03-28-2008 at 10:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

run it under a float

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jstlovtofish View Post
    Here's a question, if you're in 20 ft. or less of water and you have 100 feet of line out the back of the boat and you're using just straight jigs or roadrunners with no extra weight, how do you keep your baits from dragging the bottom? I tried this several times back when it was colder and caught some fish but I was trying to slow down the presentation and usually hung up four of the five poles on the bottom. Every once in a while I'd catch a fish on it before it had time to get down there. Is speed the key to keep them off the bottom. Thanks.
    I use lighter jigs if I'm going to slow down my presentation while long-lining. Where a 1/8oz would be dragging the bottom, line resistance through the water will usually keep a 1/32 or 1/64oz jig well off the bottom.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation jstlovtofish ...

Quote Originally Posted by jstlovtofish View Post
    Here's a question, if you're in 20 ft. or less of water and you have 100 feet of line out the back of the boat and you're using just straight jigs or roadrunners with no extra weight, how do you keep your baits from dragging the bottom? I tried this several times back when it was colder and caught some fish but I was trying to slow down the presentation and usually hung up four of the five poles on the bottom. Every once in a while I'd catch a fish on it before it had time to get down there. Is speed the key to keep them off the bottom. Thanks.
    the "keys" are ... line distance from rod tip to bait - line size &/or type - bait weight/style - speed. Also ... these are in relation to trolling in a straight line, as turns will speed up the outside lines and slow down the inside lines. Speed & line length/distance are the two major components, as they can be adjusted "on the move". If speeding up isn't an option, to keep your baits off the bottom ... then shortening the length of line, you have out, is the fastest/easiest way to keep them up off the bottom. It also allows you to keep your bait at the desired depth, while keeping your productive speed. Also, something to take into account, as far as speed ... your speed can change, even though you don't increase/decrease it manually, with your outboard or trolling motor. It's when you are going against the wind/waves, or with them, or across them .. that your boat/bait speed can change.

... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast